Optiver

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by IUgrad05, Apr 7, 2006.

1. CTFD

CTFD

Hey wittyguy;

Anonymity is a priceless commodity.
    Given the highly competitive nature you would be best off applying to every single firm and see how you go from there. If you get multiple offers you can pick and choose, if not, treat it as a stepping stone and try and move later. Compared to say two years ago I reckon the number of vacancies has grown tenfold, so I wouldnt waste any time sending my CV onto whoever is specified on the website of the firm that you're interested in.
    Good luck!

#41     Oct 23, 2007
  2. DennisF

DennisF

Hi,

After reading up on this thread I've figured that a lot of you guys are unsure about the tests. I wanted to test if I could make it, but didn't want to come up with lists and lists of questions.

So I've made a generator which makes 80 questions at about the same difficulty level as some of the examples in this thread. No really complex divisions or factors, but just some plain and simple questions similar to Optiver's. Just hit reload and the it will regenerate.

Anyways, the test is here: http://www.dennisfleurbaaij.com/node/735

Good luck!

#42     Oct 29, 2007
  3. trado

trado

I thought IMC was #1 in Oz? I think they all pay extremely well in terms of graduate roles, definitely in the top few percent.

#43     Oct 31, 2007
  4. curtains

curtains

Aren't Timber Hill number one in Aus?

How do you determine number 1?

Is it the volume they are putting through? The profit they make year on year?
    The types of people they have working there?

My thoughts are that Optiver, IMC and Tibra are on par.

All three have talented people, traders switch b/w them often, they pay the same base salary.

If you pass the tests at one, you'll probably pass the others.

#44     Oct 31, 2007
  5. wittyguy

wittyguy

Curtains,

How do you know so much about these firms? I've asked around and done quite a lot of research into all these companies and I've concluded the following:

Timber Hill are computer traders- ie the traders have very little input. The company is about 90% owned by one guy so not a great choice if you want to make money or learn how to trade

IMC has a young inexperienced team and isn't taken seriously by people in the markets that I have spoken to

Tibra apparently is doing ok but is still in startup phase

Optiver is very well respected in the market- has been around for a very long time and is a true global company. The only problem here is that it's tough to get a inn.

I've sent my cv to the last 3 above and will hopefully get a chance to do these damn tests-

#45     Nov 1, 2007
  6. trado

trado

I was going on market share. Obviously all these guys make their real money in the asian markets though.

#46     Nov 6, 2007
  7. mbos322

mbos322

I can attest that Optiver trades the Asian markets through the Sydney office. This can't be sustained though and offices will be opening up throughout the Asian region.....or that's at least what I was told by both HR and my future boss (I start there next month).

#47     Nov 7, 2007
  8. curtains

curtains

IMC are not young and inexperienced.
    Tibra are no longer startup.
    Optiver are no harder to get into than the others.
    You are right about Timbers.
    There are other market makers in Australia also. Just smaller and not as well.

#48     Nov 7, 2007
  9. curtains

curtains

I hope this is true.

#49     Nov 7, 2007
  10. curtains

curtains

Probably true. Less market makers on the OSE, HK, Tokyo, etc.

But the spreads in Aus are notoriously wide compared to euro/us markets, so there is money around.

#50     Nov 7, 2007