Optiver Advice

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Deviouz, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Deviouz

Deviouz

Hi guys,

I've now officially been given a job at Optiver, (either in the Sydney or Amsterdam office), starting next January when I finish my Economics Honours degree.

You guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the business, so I was wondering if you guys have any tips on how I might best prepare myself for the job. Obviously, I have the numerical skills and rough kind of personality profile they're looking for, but if there's any specific area of learning that could set me in good stead that you could suggest, I would appreciate it, I'm really excited about the role actually.

Anything else would be good too... what do you think the job would be like? What about security? What are the main challenges and lessons I'll have to meet as a new trader?

Thanks in advance.

2. cliu9583

cliu9583

Congrats Deviouz!

I reckon u can find some relevant info on their website - People & Statements.

I hope i can get the same position as u. I did the three tests & one interview yesterday, have to wait for them to get a decision next week for a possible 2nd round interview.

Can you or anyone who can shed some lights on that? what sort of questions to expect? Do they give u an offer straight away after the 2nd interview or are there still more rounds to go?

Cheers!

3. curtains

curtains

Congratulations...

My suggestions -

Read up on some options/volatility literature even though you will be schooled in it over the first couple of months there. Books to read -
    Options volatility and pricing - Natenberg
    Dynamic Hedging - Taleb
    Options Trading: The Hidden Reality - Cottle.

The idea behind reading above is that anything that helps you prepare for the training will allow you to cope with the training a lot easier and not feel stressed at the pace of learning (the pace will be swift). You need to have a really good grasp of how all the greeks work, eg, whether greeks will be positive/negative in complex portfolio positions. Early exercise puts and calls, dividend implications, option strategies, especially volatility strategies (combinations & reversals). Just remember that preparation is the key! Good luck, I will probably run into you somewhere down the line.

4. orido

orido

Hey there
    i think i met you there on thursday? we were one of the last four. I am brian, the guy in the striped shirt

I am also waiting for an email or not about the final interview.

By the way what were your final 2 test scores?

B