OptionVue vs ToS

Discussion in 'Options' started by Joel Reymont, Nov 12, 2006.

1. (I find it funny how you can just set a set of criteria and backtrade to a conclusion that what works and what doesn't. How do you know if the IC is held till expiration every single time? How do you know when/how someone will enter it, or leg in? You can account for all these decisions from a simple backtest, unless you are strickly mechanical. )

In backtrader, you don't just set a trading criteria, you actually trade it manually just like you would in live trading. So if you want to leg in, you can. If you want to exit the position before expiration, you can. It's exactly the same as REAL Trades. It also accounts for slippage and commission fees.

#31     Nov 16, 2006
  2. MTE

MTE

Does have just the closing prices or does it have intraday bid-ask quotes as well? and if it does, how far back does it go?

#32     Nov 16, 2006
  3. Hi, you can forward by Hour if you want. I usually forward Day at a time, but it does have hours too if you want to do it really slow. Email me and I can get you a 5 week free trial if you want to see how it works. info at stock - software dot com. Thanks

#33     Nov 16, 2006
  4. ubs

ubs

Can anyone give me any guidance with regard to use of the Hoadley Option Strategy Eval Tool and/or TOS/OV re: adjustment of an ongoing trade? (read on for specifics of my question)

In the Hoadley oset tool (which I use and am familiar with), I've run into a possible limitation...(I hope I haven't & thus this request for assistance)

Specifically, my confusion is stemming from the following:

As an example, say I put on a simple calendar spread position.

The shorts expire worthless and I want to re-sell new front month shorts against my longs (which I still have).

In this case of selling the new front month shorts.....does the "deal date" I enter in the oset matter? It seems to me that it does..for if I change the deal date & "re-run" calc.iv per leg, the whole position p&l changes.

- It seems that the "deal date" for my longs would have been a date in the past (the date that I bought them).....and the "deal date" for my recently sold (new) shorts is today....that would make two separate "deal dates" - wouldn't it? If so, which date to use to graph new position p&l appropriately? Or, what process of using the tool could I use to accuratly do this?

I've also noticed that the graphed position p&l tends to change after I "calc. iv" for trades 1 through 6 (in this case just trades 1 and 2). Meaning, I press the buttons in the oset to calculate implied volatility per leg and the graphed position p&l changes. I'm assuming that this procedure is a "must do" for each leg opened in order to get a proper p&l graph and table of the position, yes?

That's a "mind-full" but I think you'll get my meaning (I hope).

as an aside - I gather that I can enter the profit ((or if bought back at a loss - as not in this example...a loss)) in the "intial debit/credit" section - this would assist me in the overall p&l of the continuing position and on-going position graph - yes?

#34     Nov 28, 2006
  5. I think that's extremely funny coming from you and your spamming for randomwalktrading at every turn.

Just look at the options book reviews page and see the crap she posts in her reviews.

#35     Jan 4, 2008
  6. segv

segv

Why did you resuscitate this ancient thread?

PS: The rumor is that OptionVue is starting a brokerage of their own similar to ToS or Tradestation.

#36     Jan 5, 2008
  7. timbo

timbo

He's working on morphing from "I, Deviant" to "I, Whore" -- me love you, long long time.

#37     Jan 5, 2008
  8. I was looking at the option reviews and doing a search on ToS and noticed the correlation so I commented....because the comment was relevant to me.

aaah, Timbo, thanks for reminding me to put you on ignore.

#38     Jan 5, 2008
  9. timbo

timbo

Go ahead tough guy.

#39     Jan 5, 2008
  10. Timbo, as intellectually stimulating as ever I see.

#40     Jan 12, 2008