OptionVue vs ToS

Discussion in 'Options' started by Joel Reymont, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Bite Me

Bite Me

There is a big flashing banner at the top of your screen with the answer.

#11     Nov 13, 2006
  2. Can you write scanning algorithms into ToS?

#12     Nov 13, 2006
  3. Do you mean the Variable Volatility Model, Backtrader and 5 years of historical options data?

Are you actively using OptionVue and feel these features are worth the price that you are paying?

#13     Nov 13, 2006
  4. I have the OptionVue price sheet in front of me and the standard edition is $1495 + $500/yr for quote data + $650/yr for weekly BDB updates. The market scanner is $500/yr and backtrader is $400 (one time).

I never used TOS but there are several elements that standout in OptionVue:

- Yates options pricing model: based on American pricing model, but adjusts for early exercise. They claim results differ 1% or less from Cox-Ross-Rubinstein

- Variable volatility model: projects hypothetical volatility curve across future time frames

- Trade Finder

All of the other models in the software are fairly standard and well documented (SV, log price distribution, etc)...

#14     Nov 13, 2006
  5. An earlier poster said not to reinvent the wheel by using Excel . I use TOS in a retail account , and their pro version Thinkpipes and they are excellent platforms for option trading and risk analysis.

What they won't have however are scanner which other products have on a subscription basis. Are they worth it? You have to judge that for yourself. OpVue has a good product called Opscan which is pricey AND 15 min delayed data.

As far as re-inventing the wheel using Excel, I know of no public product that can.

Scan calendars on earnings stock alone.

Scan straddles and discern when it is pricey/cheap relative to what I think the straddle is worth at a certain date.

Scan any stupid criteria I can think of such as show me cheap combos when it is a full moon outside....

AND do it all in real time using IB real time quote + Excel using Hoadley Add-ins.

Regards,

Peter Hoadley......

just kidding. I am not Hoadley, just a # 1 fan of his addin.

#15     Nov 13, 2006
  6. Tums

Tums

why don' t you go download the 30 day free trial and find out for yourself?

p.s. chances are, there are useful features you don't know how to use.

#16     Nov 13, 2006
  7. ToS recently added a scanner. I haven't used it so I can't comment.

The ToS platform is great. I probably use about 1% of its features. One problem is that (AFAIK) most of their user documentation is in the form of downloadable videos. I have a slow dialup connection, so I haven't seen any. They have free seminars on how to use the software, but none in my area.

#17     Nov 14, 2006
  8. MTE

MTE

Eliot,

All Wed seminar transcripts are available on thinkorswim's website and there are quite a few on functionality, I suggest you check them out. Also drop by the chat rooms on TOS platform, there are people who would be happy to help you with features that you don't know how to use.

#18     Nov 14, 2006
  9. Thanks. To paraphrase Rumsfeld, it's those pesky unknown unknowns that are the problem.

#19     Nov 14, 2006
  10. cool! Is this a home built Excel scanner? If "commercial", where can I get it from? (I have Hoadley's add in.)

Many thanks,
    Bben

#20     Nov 14, 2006