OptionsXpress vs. thinkorswim

Discussion in 'Options' started by JetFuel, May 23, 2005.

1. I must just have bad luck, then. At one broker, my orders were sometimes locking and even crossing the market - so I asked them about it. They said that for each option series they've chosen a specific exchange to route to, and the rep told me that they do not guarantee that the customer will get the best price.

#61     Jul 10, 2005
  2. I've used Interactive Brokers' TWS on Solaris. It works with either the java command-line programs or a browser with the java plugin.

Ameritrade's Streamer, although I hesitate to call it a platform because order entry is still like filling out a web form and hitting a refresh button repeatedly to see if you got filled, works on Linux and Solaris as well, with the web browser's java plugin.

#62     Jul 10, 2005
  3. MadCow

MadCow

#64     Jul 13, 2008
  4. opt789

opt789

Mods, please delete the above post immediately.

If you read the "complaint" you will see the idiot who calls himself a trader is saying that he deserves a fill at a price that never traded because the market gapped down. The market closed at 1325.19 on 1/18/08 and because of the Monday holiday did not reopen until 1/22/08 at which time it gapped down significantly (as all of you should remember). The SPX never traded at his 1299 trigger because it gapped from 1325 to about 1275.

This person received exactly what he should have, and it should go to show any new option traders the perils of selling short premium and the danger of the market gapping.

After about 20 years as a professional I don't remember anything as ridiculously stupid as this person's claims. I don't have an account with optionsxpress so I don't care about them one way or another, but this information is so incorrect someone had to point it out.

#65     Jul 13, 2008
  5. I don't know what broker you are speaking of when you say they told you "for each option series they've chosen a specific exchange to route to, and the rep told me that they do not guarantee that the customer will get the best price." but that sure sounds funny to me.

In 1999 I had an account with Charles Schwab. I sold 2500 shares of a stock at the market and was paid $70 1/8. When the market closed the low for the day was $70 3/4. I called and asked them to wire me the full account balance saying I had no desire to discuss how this could have happened.

There are dishonest business practices in every industry. It sounds like someone is scalping you (and very well other clients as well).

Choose well.

#66     Jul 13, 2008
  6. Both are good. Where the hell is it written that you can't have an account at each?

#67     Jul 13, 2008