OptionsXpress vs. thinkorswim

Discussion in 'Options' started by JetFuel, May 23, 2005.

1. Nice one (selling the puts) :cool:

#51     Jul 6, 2005
  2. The OE screener has a selection parameter where you can specify the minimum (or maximum) dollar value of a stock. This should eliminate penny stocks for you.

I don't see a similar feature for their Dragon tool, but the Screener tool can simulate many of the Dragon functions.

Don

P.S. I am also an OE happy customer.

#52     Jul 7, 2005
  3. Went through this whole evaluation process myself a while back. Since I was not in front of my home computer all day, decided to open OE account due to full internet application superiority.

In processing the plethora of paperwork, I needed to ask some questions so I called by phone as well as used the IM live. It became clear to me then. At least my experience was confronted with impatient and short staff (i.e "rude" in my opinion).

Heard about TOS, reluctantly reviewed their website. Grew more interested. Downloaded demo as well as web-based demo. Grew more interested. Researched ET boards. Grew more interested. Called them directly and BINGO!......pleasant, understanding, caring (in my opinion) staff both on the phones and also live chat. They really went out of their way to answer my questions. Perhaps, I thought, just a mistake. Tried live chat again on a Friday afternoon after the close. Conversation went about 30 minutes. I had to close out and thank the person; literally saying to him, "Geez, I hope your superiors know what an asset you are, good luck with your career...you have tremendous people skills..." He typed back, "Thank you, I am the president of the company...I also answer live chat messages personally...."

Now, perhaps the young single brokers had already skipped out for happy hour, leaving Prez by his lonesome....but I was impressed!!!

Craig

#53     Jul 8, 2005
  4. pauld

pauld

I have been a user of TOS for several years, I have found their support to be commendable both via chat and live, I am currently using TOS's downloaded software, which took some while to reinstall due to some problems when I switched to Linux, however they were persistent in resolving any software problems.

#54     Jul 8, 2005
  5. Sorry, you are correct re the Screener.

What I did ask for was the addition of a delta screen which would greatly reduce the size of my output. They said they would add it their TTD list. That was a year ago.

I did ask for the reverse of the Dragon IV/HV screen ( ie High IV & Low IV ) and they did do that but rejected my remove the penny stuff request. Who cares about $1 stocks looking at IV/HV?

As to the commission complaint, it is a non issue as 1. small accounts should not be trading options and 2. Three contracts at a 5cent spread is $15. 3. IB is not worth their difference IMO.

As to routing, it makes zero difference as all brokers must route to the best bid or ask so what do I care if my .40 cent GG limit order goes to PHL or ISE? I will get filled if I am the best price or the market moves enough. Btw I do not consider myself to be a 'trader'. I will wait all day for my price or the HWI.

#55     Jul 8, 2005
  6. Got a dollar on the Sept 12.5 Puts with stock around 12.90. Now a nickel bid and ridiculous ask and I refuse to give back a penny. ;)

#56     Jul 8, 2005
  7. ============
    Right on a limit order is a limit order;
    reguardless of exchange.

Even though they are no substitute for paper sheets;
    like OX charts also, very readable, perhaps better than IB charts.

However IB is right about having 2 accounts[differing brokers];
    and for a trader more than an investor,SMART routing does tend to live its name.
    Fills can be slightly better @ IB than OX;
    seems like quotes are slightly better @ OX.

TOS has some helpful education IB & OX doesnt have;
    not a prediction,
    probably all 3 those brokers will lead in options.:cool:

#57     Jul 8, 2005
  8. JetFuel

JetFuel

Anyone with experience trading options with optionstation?

How does tradestation compare to OX & TOS for options?

#58     Jul 8, 2005
  9. The IB rep for poor customer service would nix them for me. Especially the Jun 17 goog 280 Calls fiasco I've read. OX was on the ball stopping the dumb OCC auto exercise. Had I lost a dollar I would be on the horn with lawyers and the SEC but I am hoping someone will explore a Class Action. This industry is still bad news on the retail side IMO. If one is buying a contract, then where is a copy of that contract to be found? Vaporware?

#59     Jul 9, 2005
  10. milstar

milstar

Gentlemen

Did any from you tested Linux TOS platform ?
    Is it only downloading or also lite version
    with java push ?
    Exist another Linux/Solaris based trading platform
    by option industries ?

Author would very pleased for answer.

#60     Jul 9, 2005