OptionsXpress vs. thinkorswim

Discussion in 'Options' started by JetFuel, May 23, 2005.

1. =======
    Good points and IB may over a period of time have faster fills;
    but a limit order is a limit order, went to old school also.

OX has beter , quicker, more accurate / consistant quotes and charts than IB ;
    use them both.:cool:

#41     Jun 21, 2005
  2. mlipsky

mlipsky

I can't believe there are people on this board that have had good experience w/ OX quotes. On an options chain, you can't even OPEN to see regionals on more than 5 windows. It just shuts down and they themselves will tell you that.

#42     Jun 24, 2005
  3. milstar

milstar

Gentlemen

Author is from Germany and tested under heavy network
    conditions . OX streamer have not a lot a functions as
    Ameritrade,but work from public access in McDonald ,
    Ameritrade streamer not ,only http version.
    TOS need downloading and have web based version,which
    author not tested .Downloading trading software have a low stability vs. web based.

Another commentators used some kind of apologethic of
    one companies . Author point of view ,that is not correct .
    Depend from objective's this or another companies have
    advantage and dissadvantage's.

Author would very pleased for opinion about MBtrading ,
    Firstrade,Choicetrade,Speedytrader,Questrade.

Yours respectfully Gerus/privat person/

#43     Jun 24, 2005
  4. neither have I.

excellent realtime quotes display and montage...

one question where they fail misrably was in the area of the PDT ruling applying to (Strict) options trading (where no mixed equity positions were taken).

They felt that the PDT applied, and this is intentionally subjective so that every clearing agent can set their own parameters on this subject.

Actually the PDT applies exclusively to Equities trading, and to have it applied to option trading made carrying a huge account balance at their firm unattractive.

Consider another broker.

#44     Jun 24, 2005
  5. MTE

MTE

milstar,

I have to disagree with you on Thinkorswim's platform (the one you have to download). Have you even tested it!? It is a great platform with exceptional stability and beats competition hands down. OX's web-based platform is stone age compared to Thinkorswim's and as one previous poster has pointed out it is really glitchy!

#45     Jun 24, 2005
  6. milstar

milstar

...Tested in this 5 days,which was possibile after account opening,before funding .

All ,what need downloading is more vulnerable ...

You can disscuss this matter with professional's from
    NASA ,Cray ,Lockheed ,L3 or DoD .

If they answer another ,author would accept error.

OX platform work in heavy conditions .Windovs can be interrelated /Operator can type in one windov,but point switched to another &/ ,delay in streamer or windovs opening ,
    frame belov/with starting key's for ARCA &/ can be blocking .
    streaming windovs of options can be blocked also time
    from time .

But it is work ...Better so as nothing .

#46     Jun 25, 2005
  7. Have you found a broker that exempts options from the PDT rule?

#47     Jun 26, 2005
  8. milstar

milstar

Gentlemen

Questrade as Canada based for non USA resident
    can exempt ...

Yours respectfully Gerus

#48     Jun 26, 2005

9. yes, there are many, however, these viewpoints are subject to being changed without notice.

so,

directly question their Compliance Officer or Department, and specifically ask them this question:

Does your firm believe that the PDT rule applies to option (equity / index) trading?

How does this effect account balance requirements and trading simple option strategies (i.e. long put/call and sales of existing positions, covered spreads, not naked spreads or complex trades)?

#49     Jul 6, 2005
  10. I waited until the price dropped to near 12.50 and then sold 12.50 Puts. If you were paying attention and read the SEC filing you would have seen that the planned offering price was 12.50 to 14.50. No decent IPO is underpriced so only fools paid 20 for a company worth 12-15 bucks.

I have been a customer for 2 years managing 4 accounts one of which is my rollover IRA and I am 90% satisfied. My complaint is their insisting of including penny stocks in their Screener and Dragon tools.

All my accounts are cash accounts by my choosing, for my safety.

#50     Jul 6, 2005