OptionsXpress vs. thinkorswim

Discussion in 'Options' started by JetFuel, May 23, 2005.

1. JetFuel

JetFuel

Nobody trades options through MB?

#21     May 30, 2005
  2. I started a seperate thread on this with no responses, so I'll try here.
    TOS looks to be a great choice. Just wondering if anyone has tried their wireless platform, "ThinkAnywhere"?
    I'm going to try it out but really want to know what pocket PC to use.
    Thanks.

#22     May 30, 2005
  3. JetFuel

JetFuel

Reading back over the comments, it seems interesting to me that the comments about OptionsXpress involve "too expensive" and the comments about thinkorswim are almost always positive.

The reality is that thinkorswim is more expensive than OX in almost all cases - TOS only has an advantage if you're trading 5 or less contracts! (If you're an active trader, TOS only has an advantage at 4 or less contracts) Above 5 OX is less expensive.

It seems to me if you want a platform that is available most of the time with phone backup and have your own software OX is a pretty good choice.

If you're trading in the 5-20 contract range and trading more than 35 times a quarter, you qualify for OX's active trader discounts which get you to $1.25 per contract... still 25% more than IB, but no cancel fees, more reliability, and no add on fees if you need to pick up the phone... and much less expensive than TOS...

Am I missing something?

#23     May 30, 2005
  4. At the Denver Trading Group, I spoke to a fellow and he was fanatical about "tos. I find their users cultish over this broker, so far...just an observation which may or may not be true because of the sample size:)

#24     May 30, 2005
  5. MTE

MTE

Hi Jet,

If you can't decide which one to go with then just try them both out. You can open a cash account at OX, there's no minimum deposit and no inactivity fee, so you get access to all the features for free. TOS has a demo, which you can use for some time. Give them both a go and see which one you like more.

Not to sound cultish :D or anything, but TOS does offer great features on its platform for free. So some people don't mind paying a bit extra in commissions.

By the way, OX accepts payment for order flow, while TOS does not.

#25     May 30, 2005
  6. JetFuel

JetFuel

True TOS doesn't accept payment for order flow - and in theory that could effect fills... but does it in practice?

Anyone with accounts in both that can elaborate?

The anecdotal stories I've read seem to favor OX over even IB (who also doesn't accept payment for order flow) in terms of both speed of fill and price.

#26     May 30, 2005
  7. Been with TOS for awhile. Almost all options now days are electronic and direct access. And almost all platforms have smart routing. So there will not be that much different in speed of fills.

TOS has good rates, not as cheap as IB, but much greater charting and tools. Also, anytime I have delt with them through the live chat, they have been very very quick to fix problems.

#27     May 31, 2005
  8. nitro

nitro

Yes.

It works well but lots is missing that you can do on the pc version.

nitro

#28     May 31, 2005
  9. Thanks Nitro...I really just want it to monitor position and make occasional adjustment if needed.
    Do you have a pocket PC recommendation?

#29     May 31, 2005
  10. nitro

nitro

YW UT.

I have this one:

http://www.tmobile.com/products/overview.asp?phoneid=250175&class=phone

It works well as an Internet etc handheld because of the detachable keyboard, the large clear screen, and built in wifi and GPRS, but I hate it as a phone.

progers also has one and I think he loves it.

nitro

#30     Jun 1, 2005