Optionsellers.com goes bust and the apology video is painful to watch

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by Sweet Bobby, Nov 17, 2018.

1. schweiz

schweiz

Two elements compose the risk: move of the price * leverage

1% move up with 100 leverage being short equals wipe out;
    25% move up with 4 leverage being short equals wipe out too.

#161     Nov 19, 2018
  2. smallfil

smallfil

It won't hurt to consult your attorney. It is quite possible that the SEC might find violations of securities laws as far as the actions of the broker. The bad thing which might absolve the broker is the POA which you executed allowing Optionseller.com to trade your account. Now, the broker can say that you gave authority to Optionseller.com to act in your behalf and they are not liable for Optionseller.com's trade decisions. The broker might be inclined to throw you a bone if there is a threat of a lawsuit, the outcome of which is uncertain. If you can get even part of the debit balance waived, it might not be much but, better than nothing!

#162     Nov 19, 2018
    PJB1994 likes this.
  3. PJB1994

PJB1994

I need to research further how the Midland account relates to the second FC Stone one. I don’t think FC Stone has self-directed IRA’s so that was why we had to set up a Midland account. We are calling Midland and FC Stone today for clarification.

#163     Nov 19, 2018
  4. Pekelo

Pekelo

From Reddit:

longboarder12

there's a guy on twitter that posted a google doc of their positions. basically the main nat gas position was a ton of 12:1 call ratios and some short puts as well. when vol shot up over 11/8-9, even though the short calls remained otm their value got jacked way up. the hedge was the 1 long call for every 12 short...no delta hedging with the future from what i can tell, and even if there was i'm not sure how much it would've helped

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-oj5UkqU0tMHrMnIEiuIYmTlxVWoU-VJqumykJ3IMUA/edit#gid=1356201715

#164     Nov 19, 2018
    guru and kinggyppo like this.
  5. RedDuke

RedDuke

Hi PJB1994,

What was the official name for their CTA program? And another question? Typically CTA managed accounts get daily statements with all current positions. Were you getting them?

Thanks,
    redduke

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    #165     Nov 19, 2018
  6. Mpeter

Mpeter

He can’t take the position because the margin is Huge.

#166     Nov 19, 2018
  7. LacesOut

LacesOut

Probably accurate.
    He could have bailed the position at a big loss or he could continue to chase the dragon.
    He chose the latter.
    Now he has a big watch.

#167     Nov 19, 2018
    kinggyppo likes this.
  8. Mpeter

Mpeter

“Highly Respected “ not any more

#168     Nov 19, 2018
  9. Mpeter

Mpeter

First he would have to meet a huge margin call. Then with a massive short natty futures position he’d have to post massive margin. I’m not probably right I’m definitely right; it’s the definition of a margin call. Amaranth, Neuderhoffer, LTCM , MF Global were all massive margin calls that couldn’t be met..

#169     Nov 19, 2018
    LacesOut likes this.
  10. Mpeter

Mpeter

Niederhoffer

#170     Nov 19, 2018