options w/ higher deep-out-of-the-money premium

Discussion in 'Options' started by amedhussaini, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Hello,

I'm thinking about selling insurance, even though this is a negative expectancy system w/ the black swan looming up above.

Anyone have a quick list of instruments with high premium far out of the money (equities or commodities)?

Thanks in advance.

2. The usual suspects:
    1) Stock index puts
    2) Energy, grain and precious metal calls.
    3) Just remember, "high" premiums can go much higher. :cool:

3. spindr0

spindr0

4. Tom1am

Tom1am

Nice, thanks for posting that link. I am actually thinking about buying some 6-9 month puts here as a hedge.

5. Thanks for the information!

6. "high premium" is a relative amount. What some people think is high others are glad to pay.

7. High premium = High risk.

No such thing as a free lunch.

8. Not expecting one, just stating that I know there is always another black swan in the future.

I mostly added that line to the original post to deter any posters from turning this thread into one about how "that strategy is worthless yada yada yada", that same old story.

9. spindr0

spindr0

It depends on what you're selling. On one side they help. On the other, they hurt.

10. if you're expecting a black swan just stay flat. chances are that you're on the wrong side of the fence - that's why is called a black swan.

i have seen many going bust holding straddles as well. holding a combos that offer just about 30% chances of profit on the long is close to impossible.

#10     Aug 19, 2009