options taxation

Discussion in 'Options' started by ssss, Feb 14, 2007.

1. ssss

ssss

Gentlemen

How great is USA tax for resident and not resident(EU resident) ,if operator hold position without expiration some untill 7 days.

buy at 1.5 02/09/2007
    sell at 2 02/14/2007

Or tax apply only to end of the year result ?

2. Not exactly clear as to what your facts are. Nevertheless, the US does not tax nonresident aliens who are not engaged in US trade or business, on investment gains.

4Q

3. ssss

ssss

Dear Sir

You wrote -

exQQQQseme

Nevertheless, the US does not tax nonresident aliens who are not engaged in US trade or business, on investment gains.

4Q

Not engaged in USA trade or business ,but what is USA
    definition of investment gains ?

If option position hold until 7 days and selled
    with gain ,is it investment Gain through USA law ?

(Germany taxed options gain)

4. MTE

MTE

As a US non-resident alien (i.e. not US citizen, living outside the US), you are not taxed on capital gains from trading in the US, you may be subject to capital gains tax in your home country. In other words, if you make an options trade and make money on it, you won't pay tax on the profit in the US, but you may have to pay it in your home country depending on the local tax laws.

5. ssss

ssss

MTE wrote -

but you may have to pay it in your home country depending on the local tax laws.

Good (author filled W8-ben) .

But would Germany options tax direct deducted from author USA account from USA Tax authority and transferred to germany or all that is only case
    for Germany tax authority in Germany ?
    ( author knew how legaly avoid tax in Germany
    for he's person )

As example today Swiss broadly exchanged information about different non-criminal accounts ,which belong to Germany
    citizen with GErmany tax authority

Relevant comment would appreciated .

6. MTE

MTE

Nope, the option trades are not reported to the IRS (US tax authority) or German tax authority so no tax will be deducted from your US brokerage account automatically.

7. SSS, the term "investment gains" was my choice of words, meaning gains from securities trades other than trades in a trade or business. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As other postings which followed mine have accurately stated...as a non US citizen residing in a foreign country, you do not pay tax on either your stock gains, your options gains, etc.

8. ssss

ssss

Thank you for answer.

If author understand you correctly ,USA tax authority
    not deducted tax from account of foreign individual
    in each case. Information simple provided to
    related foreign countries .

As example USA options gain tax for USA resident's
    lover as Germany option gains tax for Germany resident .

9. MTE

MTE

No info is provided to anyone! Neither the US nor the German tax authority have any info regarding your option trades. That's as far as i understand the tax issues, I may be wrong though in case of Germany, but then again, doesn't Germany have a self-assessment tax system, where you report your income, net capital gains and etc!?

10. ssss

ssss

No info is provided to anyone! Neither the US nor the German tax authority have any info regarding your option trades.

Author suspect,that you are some naiv .

That's as far as i understand the tax issues, I may be wrong though in case of Germany, but then again, doesn't Germany have a self-assessment tax system, where you report your income, net capital gains and etc!?

Yes have ,but exchange of information between
    Swiss and Germany exist .

And suspect ,between USA and Germany alsov
    (for tax delict)

But author have possibility not to be taxed full in consistency with Germany and USA law .

#10     Feb 15, 2007