Options Software

Discussion in 'Options' started by torontoman, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Can anyone recommend a software? Is Ivolatility any good?

2. kny3

kny3

optionvue is one, there are a few others. Which ever one you choose, try for a 30 or 60 day trial. Fire it up, see if you are comfortable with it. It will cost a little, but at least you know what you're getting and paying for. Most have on-going monthly charges for updates, etc, your choice if you want to subscribe to them or not.
    Heard last week about an Australian selling a package for $75 ($US?) with no fees for 1 year. Have not seen it.
    Look around, IBD, BARRON'S, etc.
    Some brokers have good systems too.
    I think you'll get some responses from ET'rs. Good Luck.

kny3 :cool:

3. just21

just21

4. FWIW, I tried practically all of them, and ended up writing one for myself. Optionvue was probably the closest to what I wanted, but the complexity and nickle-and-diming of all of the "packages" and "add-ons" were too frustrating (and extremely expensive) for me to mess with.

If you want to start simply, get the Hoadley stuff linked above, and get data into Excel from IB, DTN, or anyone else that can do DDE.

You can put together some pretty sophisticated charting and portfolio management systems in Excel with Hoadley. Hoadley includes a variety of starter spreadsheets which aren't too bad.

5. Yep, agree competely. Rolling your own, using modules from Hoadley is the best way to go, certainly for a newb to options. Using instant software like OptionVue doesn't teach you anything; it actually obscures some of the important details.

Ursa..