Options Screener for Time Value

Discussion in 'Options' started by newmansk, Jan 12, 2008.

1. newmansk

newmansk

Actually I wasn't looking for a theta screen. I'm aware of what the greeks are but I try not to pay to much attention to them because I keep my option startegies simple. When I become more of an expert like you are than I will know all the ins and outs.

So tell me do you know of any screens that filter options out based on time value? Its a simple question. Can't you answer it?:)

#11     Jan 12, 2008
  2. no...sorry I can't...I'm still stuck on why you seem to think time and theta are different... perhaps you are really asking for a screen for low beta stocks with unusually high vol skews. That is essentially what you initially stated...ie you wanted "blue chip" stocks (low(ish) beta) with "high" time value. My guess is ivolatility.com might have something like that.

#12     Jan 12, 2008
    #13     Jan 12, 2008
  4. newmansk

newmansk

Thanks Richard. That's what I was asking for. The theta thing was brought up by another member. It became a side discussion.

#14     Jan 12, 2008
  5. your welcome...that would be more of a fundamental type of screen... I used to get good fundamental screens with my old broker but haven't a clue where to go to get good fundamental screens that have some greek values. Its almost like either you do only FA or TA or Greeks when the reality is that all of them have their importance and it would be nice to go somewhere where all three could be evaluated.

#15     Jan 12, 2008
  6. You're looking for a volatility screen. High volatility = high theta = high time value. A fundamental screen for an option-specific value?! Searching for a high "time value" will simply output the highest $/share tickers. What good is a $300 stock at 10% volatility [stat = implied]?

As RR stated, a put-skew parameter would add some value to your scan.

#16     Jan 12, 2008
  7. The real problem...as I see it...with finding a low beta stock with "high" time value (high volatility) is a stock like AXP. Last week before earnings you would have been able to get a nice fat premium for selling the put and feel really good. Then earnings came out and whoops...boy does that sting. Options price in the unexpected but often they don't compensate you for a really nasty surprise.

which I think is also what Atticus is saying :)

#17     Jan 13, 2008
  8. A dbase is no substitute for experience. I'd be very careful selling gamma when you haven't a clue what it is.

#18     Jan 13, 2008
  9. Saturday night and we are on ET...sheesh..we do need a life..of course you have an excuse...your snowed in :D

#19     Jan 13, 2008
  10. I'm in an airport.

#20     Jan 13, 2008