Options PnL

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by Hunnusunnu, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Everyone wants success. But how many have seen real success?

I want to know what success is. Show me.

What does the historical PnL table of a successful option trader look like?

What does the equity curve of a successful consistent option trader look like?

2. If I turn mine upside down, you would realize what a great year I’m having!

golightlys likes this.
  3. Boowahhhhaaaaooooowwaahhhhha.

4. darcymac

darcymac

Here's a graph of my closed PnL over about 13 months (since I started trading this particular strategy).

In this account I sell vertical spreads on stocks I like. They are $5 or $10 wide spreads centered ATM, 45 or 60 DTE.

Unrealized $ (22,795)
    Realized $ 101,610
    Avg Return 8.13%
    Avg Days in Trade 24.45
    Current margin $ 75,822
    Positions Open 14

Total Trades 226
    Pct Wins 78.76%
    Pct Losers 21.24%
    Avg Win 22.61%
    Avg Loss -45.55%
    Avg Return 8.13%

pnl.png

I'm probably not what you're looking for though. I'm just using option delta to leverage stock picks. I think that when most people talk about successful options trades, they're thinking about non-directional stuff, like these guys that buy straddles into earnings or the guys selling volatility premium or the like. Not my game, but I know plenty of guys that succeed there.

Hunnusunnu likes this.
  5. Thanks for the answers. I am inspired.

Darcymac you have an amazing record. I wish I could produce the same.

Sweet Bobby. What happened to you?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  6. Success is only defined by the trader himself, I would think. Obviously, consistently making profit is the minimum definition. However, I consider that fact I can trade single options and make double my daily wage in less than an hour a HUGE success. That is something that can change people’s lives dramatically. It’s no mansion and super car, but it’s more time with my wife and kids. I used to just tell myself if I could trade and make my wage working my second job at McDonald’s I’m F-ing killing it.

7. vanzandt

vanzandt

"Sweet and Sour Bobby" :D (as Lugar would say)....

I've gotta say, I kinda miss LL too.

8. I know. It’s just not the same without him. Maybe Baron will let him back in.

vanzandt likes this.
  9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Not happening.

tommcginnis, vanzandt and speedo like this.
  10. ironchef

ironchef

Great strategy. :thumbsup:

#10     Jul 4, 2018