Options on Futures Brokers

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by burrben, Sep 27, 2005.

1. ids

ids

Same ES options require 2813 initial and 2250 maintenance. Make it twice bigger to compare because of difference in multipliers (100 for SPX vs. 50 for ES). I am daring to say that SPAN will give you better margins with any spread. BTW, you will have margins reduced in half between 8:30 and 14:45 Chicago time.

#11     Sep 28, 2005
  2. just21

just21

I had six option pages and asked for all months by clicking only on load chains. I got the freezing/disappearing problem. I now have three pages with just the front month up and everything is fine. How many trades do I have to do to get quote limits increased?

#12     Sep 28, 2005
  3. ids

ids

Quote from http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/accounts/fees/marketData.php?ib_entity=llc

Customers will receive an allocation of 100 real-time concurrent market data lines in the first month of trading at IB. After the first month, customers will receive a market data line for the current month for each $8 in commissions spent in the prior month with a minimum of at least 100 market data lines.

It is all per page of course.

#13     Sep 28, 2005
  4. burrben

burrben

Thanks, I know a good bit about index options, but I'm a total newb with futures options. So please bear with me:
    1) Your saying that as long as I hold the spread, I would only require $5500 (2250x2 due to multiplier) to hold until expiration? Then the options would expire worthless, and I collect the full $1 credit
    2) Why are the margins reduced in half?

I know span is calc'd at the CME, not IB, I'm just trying to get a grasp if moving to this product would increase my return on risk.
    Any opinions on the liquidity of the ES options vs the SPX options? Also any comments about the spread bid/ask width?

#14     Sep 28, 2005
  5. just21

just21

ids, is one option strike (put and call) considered a market dataline?

#15     Sep 28, 2005
  6. ids

ids

1. Your margin will change every day. It will depend on many parameters.
    2. The margin will be reduced because IB likes to stimulate your trading and it not contradicts to laws and regulations.
    3. IB calculates the margin in real time. It does not change during the day though.
    4. Liquidity is OK for ES but it is worse then SPX of course. IMHO, bid/ask spreads are approximately equal but traders could probably correct me.

#16     Sep 28, 2005
  7. ids

ids

To just21. One line on TWS page is one data line :).

#17     Sep 28, 2005
  8. just21

just21

TOTAL CALLS MINI S&P 500 OPTIONS 7925
    TOTAL PUTS MINI S&P 500 OPTIONS 6860
    TOTAL MINI S&P 500 OPTIONS 14785

Seems to increase every time I take a look. This is ES options.

#18     Sep 28, 2005