options on futures analytics software

Discussion in 'Options' started by indahook, Oct 14, 2008.

1. What are you traders using for options on futs software?

2. dmo

dmo

The low-cost champion in my opinion is Hoadley. Tons of stuff to play with for about $100.

3. I actually just downloaded the freebie. How long have you been a user?

4. dmo

dmo

Maybe a year or so.

5. Johno

Johno

Hi dmo,
    Any chance of sharing examples of what you have found to be the most useful features of the Hoadley software.

Best Regards

Johno

6. dmo

dmo

Well the basic thing is the Excel option functions, which make it possible to crunch and display option calculations any way you can imagine. Then he has ways to connect to lots of different data sources - including accounts at Ameritrade, IB, etc. - to bring live data into your spreadsheets. The protocol he uses is way better than the old DDE, which was very clumsy to use.

I also really like what he calls the OSET - option strategy evaluation tool. That lets you put up a position and see what happens under different scenarios, in 3D if you like.

The list goes on and on - he frankly has tons of stuff I don't use such as Garch that I will probably get around to playing with one of these days.

7. Johno

Johno

Hi dmo,
    I assumed that Garch is simply a mathematical prediction that wasn't necessarily an improvement on observation and experience. Would OSET allow for improved timing when adjustments/morphing of positions are required and /or provide an opportunity for effective benchmarking!

Best Regards

Johno

8. dmo

dmo

Garch has absolutely nothing to do with my approach to trading and I can't really imagine any use for it. But it does seem like it would be a fun thing to play with one of these days.

Would OSET allow for improved timing? Probably not - that one's up to you. But it would let you try out different possibilities of adjustment/morphing and give you a solid understanding of the effect of each. It's also a great learning tool - I just finished teaching a course and used it extensively.

9. Johno

Johno

Hi dmo,
    Thanks for sharing your observations. Do you use the probability cones and three dimensional modeling, if you do are these concepts hard to learn! Are they of any particular value in general options trading or geared more towards exotic options combinations.
    Thanks and best regards

Johno

10. Thank you for the lowdown.

#10     Oct 15, 2008