Options: OEX, SPX or SPY?...QQQQ or NDX?...best to daytrade?

Discussion in 'Options' started by increasenow, Jan 12, 2010.

1. akivak

akivak

I noticed that there are options expiring every week - which ones do you usually choose? What fills are you getting - buying spread that has 10.0/11.0 bid/ask, what is a realistic fill?

#11     Jan 13, 2010
  2. sugar

sugar

I only trade serial and quarterly options (ES) Occasionally I can take an EOM trade (EW) but it's harder take a good fill. Weekly options (EW1, EW2,..) are not for me.

With ES and 10/11 bid/ask 10.50 it's not so strange, but it depends of market swings.

Summarizing, I've accomplished better trades with ES options than with the SPY ones.

Regards

#12     Jan 13, 2010
  3. akivak

akivak

How did you get the screen that you attached?
    Thanks again for your help.

#13     Jan 13, 2010
  4. You plan on trading ANYTHING anytime soon? :)

#14     Jan 13, 2010
  5. sugar

sugar

Few seconds ago screenshot... you'll see.

#15     Jan 13, 2010
  6. akivak

akivak

How do you track those trades? I'm using MSNStockQuote in excel for tracking, but I wasn't able to find those options in MSN Money.

#16     Jan 13, 2010
  7. sugar

sugar

IB's TWS

#17     Jan 13, 2010
  8. akivak

akivak

So basically trading those spreads is similar to RUT or SPX? You prefer them for better liquidity?

One technical question: in IB, ES pop-up window gives three choices for Combinations: Futures Spreads (SMART), Futures Spreads (Directed) and Future Option Combos (Directed). Which one do you choose? It’s different from RUT, so I’m a bit confused.

#18     Jan 13, 2010
  9. sugar

sugar

Yes, but don't forget electronic trading.

Future Option Combos (Directed)

Too late, good night from Spain.

#19     Jan 13, 2010
  10. akivak

akivak

I understand that ES option multiplier is 50, correct? So I would need twice as many contracts compared to SPX. Since it is direct routing, the commissions are $1.81 compared to $0.7 for SPY or SPX.

If ATM calendar spread is around $10, to invest $1,000 I would have a choice of:
    10 SPY contracts - $7 commissions.
    1 SPX contract - $1 commissions.
    2 ES contracts - $3.6 commissions.

The commissions savings in ES are much less compared to SPX.

#20     Jan 13, 2010