options market making, seed capital

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by mmt, Jun 4, 2014.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

The venue is insanely important. You think the cme will let you turn on your computer and make markets? You have to buy market making rights and prove you have the technology and wherewithal to do it.

#11     Jun 4, 2014
  2. 1245

How can you tell which prints were from electronic orders that you had the ability to trade with and which were directed orders and crosses? I would guess up to 75% of equity option volume you have no chance of trading with. It is from option dark pools or shopped by a professional broker and crossed on the option exchange.

#12     Jun 4, 2014
    jmiller318 likes this.
  3. 1245

Not accurate. You can join the NFA, lease a seat on the CME to save on commissions and either use a stock MM platform like Option City/Actant/Orc etc, or built your own black box and connect directly to the CME iLink with permission of your FCM.

#13     Jun 4, 2014
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Absolutely not. Like the others said, the overhead will destroy you. Large firms have economies of scale. I don't know anyone as an individual that is doing this anymore. And you quoted about 4 different exchanges which gives me the impression you think making markets in bananas is no different then apples. There is a WORLD of difference between rates, equities and commodities. People are highly specialized in each of these areas. And lastly, you NEED to acquire order flow from somewhere. You absolutely CANNOT live off of the paper that hits your market. You need to have large funds calling you for looks.

#14     Jun 4, 2014
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

At least on the ISE, to be a market maker, you had to prove you could fulfill the obligations (technically and financially). My knowledge is a bit dated though. Each Bin cost about 1.8MM for CMM rights. To get all the bins cost about 22MM. That was one exchange.

But, do you really think there is a business plan here for this individual?

#15     Jun 4, 2014
  6. 1245

Sorry, I thought you were commenting on my comment. The requirements to get a permit to trade on any of the equity option exchanges are very high when you combine that with what the clearing firms require. You can make markets in options on futures with much lower requirements. That was where I was redirecting him. Those markets are not as fragmented and require less capital and regulation.

#16     Jun 4, 2014
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Most of the edge on the futures side is on the physical options, not on exchange listed futures.

#17     Jun 4, 2014
  8. 1245

When you say "physical" options, can you explain.

#18     Jun 4, 2014
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Sure, FTRs, day ahead power, hourly power, heating days, cooling days, basis swaps options, freight options, tolling agreements, etc. Shit I could list a thousand of them as the combinations are endless, but you get the idea.

#19     Jun 4, 2014
  10. 1245

Got it....thx

#20     Jun 4, 2014