Options Exit Question

Discussion in 'Options' started by socaldodger, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Hi:

I have a few questions:

1. - For people that do 2-4 week trades on average how long does it take for you guys to exit?
    2. - What about for 4-6 week trades?
    3. - And lastly 6-8 week trades?

TIA

2. It depends on how much fiber I've been eating. :)

But seriously, I don't understand the question.

3. LOL....

Okay let me re-phrase this. I'm currently learning about options..... What I'm interested in is short term trades (covered calls). I would like to do some different trades in which I could enter & exit within the following time frames:
    1. 2-4 weeks
    2. 4-6 weeks
    3. 6-8 weeks

What I would like to know is at what time should I be looking at exiting for each one of these times frames? For those of you who have traded covered calls within these time frames....on average when did you exit?

4. Okay, I think I understand. I think most people who use covered calls wait until expiration and either let the calls expire or let the stock get called away.

I assume you're trying to generate income from time decay. Since you're getting the most rapid time decay from the nearest months that would mean your trade lasts roughly 4 to 12 weeks.

Usually the easiest part of options trading is picking a trade and diving in; it's managing the trade and its evolution over the life of the position that's the really difficult part. It's probably a good idea to have a lower preset stop on the stock price at which point you sell the stock and buy back the call.

I hope this helps.

5. MTE

MTE

May I ask why covered calls? Do you already hold some stocks and wanna write some covered calls against them or do you actually wanna do buy-writes (i.e. buying the stock just to write covered calls)?