Options Charting

Discussion in 'Options' started by sumfuka, Aug 26, 2010.

1. sumfuka

sumfuka

Can someone recommend a good options charting software? I'm fairly new to options, hence I don't know what are the right tools to use.

2. MTE

MTE

Thinkorswim is probably the best place for a beginner to start.

3. How do you utilize the charted options?

4. sumfuka

sumfuka

Thanks, are you still using think or swim?

5. sumfuka

sumfuka

Not sure if it evens helps a bit, or if there is any point to it. Just curious if there is such a software available, and if so; is it of any use at all?

6. spindr0

spindr0

I would suggest looking elsewhere. Options are primarily derivatives of price so they'll loosely track the underlying. Other than the most liquid ones (high volume), they're apt to zig zag around the price curve because B/A spreads can narrow and widen, IV can fluctuate and the last trade may have been minutes (or more) earlier.

You'd be better served trying to figure out what the underying will do :)

7. MTE

MTE

Yes.

8. sumfuka

sumfuka

D'OH! :mad: It's all good though :cool: I figured if there was a chart for all the different prices it would be easier to pick the most volatile strike prices. Oh well back to guessing I suppose. Thanks for your reply though.

The underlying would go in circles like it always does :D

9. spindr0

spindr0

Suppose you could find the most volatile strike prices. What good would it do you? If you bot calls and the stock dropped, you're whacked. If you bot puts and the stock rose, you're whacked. It's all about the underlying.

It's good to have an inquisitive mind looking for an angle but trust me, you're going the have to kiss an awful lot of frogs before you find a beautiful price. :D

10. livevol_ophir

livevol_ophir ET Sponsor

forgive the blatant advertisement, but Livevol Pro is the best options charting software - vol, stock, comps and 3-D skew.

www.livevol.com

#10     Aug 27, 2010