Options brokers w/ low balance requirements?

Discussion in 'Options' started by bookish, Jul 17, 2019.

1. bookish

bookish

I know, you shouldn't trade options unless you have 400 million in your account. But, just for fun, who has low balance requirements for options trading?

2. bookish

bookish

p.s. I'm referring to purchasing options and spreads, not selling.

3. guru

guru

Which brokers don’t nowadays?
    Every one I can think of does.

CaseyB likes this.
  4. I have a relatively small account (<$100K) for options trading at IB, they don't seem to care as long as you're not selling naked options.

5. Ryan81

Ryan81

The original question doesn't make sense. Options you purchase have to be fully paid for...

MKTrader and CaseyB like this.
  6. MKTrader

MKTrader

Right. And buying cheap, far out-of-the money options is one thing you can do in a smaller account. Of course, pretty much everyone who's tried to pick the next Microsoft or time the indexes with options in a $10K account bled the account to death with losses....

7. ironchef

ironchef

Long options are not margin-able, so as long as you have the funds to pay for it, no minimum required.

To approve you to trade options, brokerages do require to test your suitability. You have to answer a bunch of questions on the application form. They may deny your application if you say you have zero assets, unemployed, homeless and are new to options. :caution:

8. ironchef

ironchef

Why trade if you already have 400 millions in your account? Unless it is 400 millions in Venezuelan Bolivars (VEF) where $1 USD = 248,567 VEF?

9. Amahrix

Amahrix

For bleeding problems, refer to Kelly Criterion