Options books

Discussion in 'Options' started by slidertrader, Aug 23, 2006.

1. kny3

kny3

Books about Indexes.
    Bittman has a very basic book, "Trading Index Options", and it's not expensive. But it's pretty basic.
    Skip the Market Wizards books, those won't help you, and although I only know a few of those written about, the term "embellished" doesn't do the stories justice.
    The McMillan book is good, doesn't concentrate on Indexes but worth reading & having.

kny 3 :cool:

#11     Aug 29, 2006
  2. OTR

OTR

Make sure to read Natenburg's Options Volatility and Pricing for a great intro how to value options. I like Ken Trester's books a lot for some good basic strategies and ideas about managing trades. You can find some other books I suggest on my site:

http://www.options-trading-resources.com/Options-Trading-Books.html

Regards,
    Steve
    http://www.options-trading-resources.com/EliteTrSig

Option trading information and tools the pros wish they had! A former Chicago Mercantile Exchange employee reviews stock option trading software, books, and web sites and online income opportunity.

#12     Aug 30, 2006
  3. Just a reminder, the OP was looking for 'reminiscences' type of books, and then about options.

As for factual books about options I'd concur with Natenberg, Cottle and Baird. A total n00b would also need some primer; I hesitate to recommend McMillan; although it is very complete, it has some flaws and it is actually to big for a primer. There are lots of other smaller books that explain the basics of options, after that go straight to Natenberg.

Ursa..

#13     Aug 30, 2006
  4. Might want to read the question first!

FWIW, you might also want to make yourself aware of ET Conduct Rules before anything bad happens. It seems folks have been banned for a lot less.

#14     Aug 30, 2006
  5. I am writing a book on replications, dispersion, triangular arbs, "deep greeks" and dissections this year. I have a TOC written and a commitment. I'll give out 50 free copies to ETers when it's published in late 07, early 08.

#15     Aug 30, 2006
  6. Let me be the first of the inevitable horde of ETers to wish you luck in this endeavor. I hope you aren't faced with the same obstacles you were the last time you attempted this feat (a couple of years ago?)

MoMoney.

#16     Aug 30, 2006
  7. That sounds great, b, best of luck. In your estimation, at what level, or size of your book does 'second order greeks' start to become a necessary evil, so to speak, in order to manage a book of business properly?

I suppose one would start to hedge by calling dealers instead of going back into the marketplace. Rest assured, I'm not on this level but I want to have all my bases covered if I ever do enter this threshold.

btw, what is TOC?

#17     Aug 30, 2006
  8. If you want my humble advice, speaking as an author...

let me proofread what you write to translate it to English :D

Best of luck!

#18     Aug 30, 2006
  9. Coach,

It would be easier to translate music.

Don

P.S. If you are successful, we might discover Riskarb has been pulling our leg all these years.

#19     Aug 31, 2006
  10. Arb, great to hear that you decided to put your deep understanding of the matter on paper. I was always glad to see you back on the board when I (or you) had been away for a while; afraid that all that knowledge had become unavailable.

No need to say that I'd like to be on your 50-long shortlist :). Could you make that a signed copy, please?

Ursa..

#20     Aug 31, 2006