Optionetics vs. Optionvue

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Norm, Sep 25, 2005.

1. I won't touch everything because they are giving me
    free trail.
    because there is lot of software out there
    to try, so i need to know what is worth my time.

One should say why recommend certain software\
    and it's advantages?

I have been attending an option seminar in malaysia
    last few weeks where they was using optionvue for
    personal use

Any better than optionvue? AND REASONS WHY?

#11     Oct 20, 2005
  2. Quite an attitude. Go back and read from the BEGINNING of this thread. (we can all use caps :)

#12     Oct 20, 2005
  3. mothman

mothman

For Optionetics Platinum users - does the Optionetics Platinum analyse options on futures (commodities) because I cannot figure it out from its intro?

#13     Oct 21, 2005
  4. May be it looks like an attitude to YOU only. I am looking for interpretation, not chitchat.

#14     Oct 21, 2005
  5. I don't know. I only did stocks and ETFs. Suggest you ask:

platinumhelp@gmail.com

Brooks

#15     Oct 21, 2005
  6. I too want to use a software and I am not sure if I should go with Optionetics Platinum or Optionvue.

Like someone else wrote before it isn't about the best software but about what works best for you.

So far I got the feeling that software from Optionetics Platinum would be easier to use and understand compared to Optionvue.

Agree, disagree ? Any comment will be appreciated

Thank You

#16     Feb 13, 2006
  7. I've been on OptionVue user since '94...great stuff.

Optionetics is a joke on wheels.

#17     Feb 13, 2006
  8. Prevail

Prevail Guest

They do have options on futures but all their analysis is end of day. The do maintain all data though.

OptionVue also has o on f but the data is real time and the user maintains data.

#18     Feb 13, 2006
  9. WD40

WD40

platinum is a web-based service. you pay a subscription fee, and you get access to its data and analysis.

the database is hugh, and the kind of analysis you can ask it to do can fill a book.

e.g. one of the useful analysis it offers being the backtest capability. platinum has a database of 5~6 years of option data. you can dream up a strategy, say buying an OTM butterfly on oct 20, 2005, you can key in the trade into platinum and step forward through the history day-by-day and see how the options behave in reaction to the earnings announcement, and see if your "speculation" idea made you any money.

doing the 14 days free trial is good only if you are already an options trader. If you are new to options, forget it, the site will overwhelm you with its rich content. (besides, you won't know what to do with all its analytical capabilities.)

about OV, I would suggest you to get Len Yate's book:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...ref=sr_1_1/104-3236597-8491929?_encoding=UTF8

Len is the creator/owner of OV. His book talks about advanced level option trading, it is a very good book, and is not a sales pitch of OV, although OV is used for illustration throughout the book. a trial CD of OV is included. If you are interested in OV, it does not hurt to get the book first and see how he uses the OV program.

for the amature option trader, OV will be an overkill -- it is expensive, and its portfolio approach capability will not be of any value to the retail trader.

if you are serious about learning to trade options, platinum is a good starting point. The cost is minimal, there is no software to buy, no program to install, no additional datafeed purchase, and no database to maintain. At the end of the day, if you don't like it, just discontinue the subcription. The most you loose is the few hundred dollars of fees you paid.

#19     Feb 13, 2006
  10. WD40

WD40

#20     Feb 13, 2006