Optionetics vs OptionVue - opinions please?

Discussion in 'Options' started by AngusP, Feb 12, 2004.

1. AngusP

AngusP

I've been trialling the Optionetics Platinum package, and it comes to an end tomorrow. I must confess that I quite like it as a concept. The interface seems reasonably user friendly and intuitive, but it is sooooo ssslllloooooww! Admittedly this may be because I am using a 128KBS ISDN connection rather than broadband, but the speed is still unacceptable on either my PIII-667MHz or my Celeron 1.5gHz laptop.

I know a lot of you guys rate OptionVue very highly. From what I can see on the website you need to be able to master code writing to screen for positions rather than the simple "fill in the box" that Optionetics offers. Also you seem to need to have to subscribe to all elements of it to get the best out of it. For instance, if you wanted to screen for stocks which met certain criteria for Volatility Skew between same month/different strikes and different months/different strikes you'd need the basic package, plus OpScan plus the Back Data Base - which is expensive. About $123 per month min as far as I can see.

Is the basic $49 per month package worth having on its own?

How fast is it? Would it run OK on my P3-667 or Celeron 1.5gigHz OK?

How easy is it to programme in the various searches?

How easy to screen for different strategies? e.g. for 1 x 2 and 2 x 3 Calendar ratio Backspreads using the search criteria for IV skew that I set out above?

I shall be asking these questions directly of OptionVue but I'd value the opinions of actual retail users rather than the guy who's selling the stuff. Any comments would be most welcome.

2. ===
    Angus;

I dont pay retail for much of anything &
    consider slowness in some cases to be an advantage.:cool:

Both leaders of those companys have written books/ articles;
    which are slower;
    but to me give more bang for the buck.

Like realtime option quotes & data;
    actually do more hand written research off Option Industry Council website which is 20 minute delayed.:)

===
    LBRgroup might smile at the ''20 minute delayed''
    but noticed her brain also processes hand written info better she said.
    [Recent issue of Active Trader mag.]:)

3. I've used OptionVue for a few years, and I find the program extremely robust, though I can't speak to the programming aspect since I'm not a programmer and don't screen for prospective positions in the typical sense. However, OptionVue is very expensive and they nickel and dime you on everything. Optionetics, on the other hand, is a lot cheaper, and I know many retail options traders that swear by it. But, having tried out Optionetics, I'd suggest you sign up for the OptionVue free trial to see if it's worth it.

4. AngusP

AngusP

murray t turtle - I also like to get "bang for the buck". I read everything I can get my hands on, but not sure how your approach can help you scan the market for opportunities. e.g. Volatility Skews between and within series.

5. Not sure what you are looking for but you might take a look at IVolatility.com They offer different screening services. I've used them in the past and always like what I get there.

6. nkhoi

nkhoi

Fidelity now have 1 click order for complex options called Ispread looking really good.

7. there is absolutely no need for any of these programs for the retail trader---- www.thinkorswim.com new platform is all an option trader needs and its FREE.

surfer

8. Sorry, but you're wrong. I have an account with TOS and, though it's a nice platform, you simply can't compare it to OptionVue.

9. Maverick74

Maverick74

I concur.

10. I've used both Optionetics (although it was a long time ago) and OptionViue more recently. OptionVue adds more value, and is better for a wide range of tradeables. It is also more expensive. Unless you go to the top level professional products (Onyx, Micro, etc) OptionVue is probably the best around. Wish they'd bring the price down a bit tho. Anyway, thats my vote. Best Regards, Steve46

#10     Feb 17, 2004