Option trading strategy backtesting platforms recommendation

Discussion in 'Options' started by Jeff1228, Oct 5, 2019.

1. guru

guru

This has nothing to do with backtesting.

#11     Oct 6, 2019
    rtw likes this.
  2. I believe neither the touted (by the previous poster) projectoption which seem to be regurgitating some original material of TT. However, I would be happy to be corrected on this...please...

#12     Oct 6, 2019
  3. guru

guru

You’d need to understand what backtesting is. The previously mentioned solutions are actually backtesting solutions, most of them designed specifically for performing backtests. TT doesn’t offer absolutely anything for performing backtests, not even a single link or product on their website or trading platform is designed for performing backtesting. Otherwise you’d specify the name of that product and provide a link to it, just like everyone else here did.

#13     Oct 6, 2019
    rtw likes this.
  4. Thank you for enlightening me. Would you therefore please provide me with the link to the 'performing backtests' features of the previously touted site projectoption? I must have missed it somehow when I visited that site, for which I do apologize!

BTW: Please see my link to a bonafide backtesting site for option strategies.
    Option trading strategy backtesting platforms recommendation

#14     Oct 6, 2019
  5. guru

guru

You'd first need to understand what "most of them" means in my above answer.
    You'd also need to understand that the person who mentioned "projectoption" specifically stated that they couldn't find a backtesting solution and developed their own internally for their own use.
    You'd also need to understand that someone else providing or not providing specific solution is unrelated to problems with your answer, which indicate poor logic and make you unqualified to be a trader. Though TT indeed is great for slow learners. Oh, and good luck with your job search.

#15     Oct 6, 2019
    Stamamarti likes this.
  6. I like your way of thinking very much! :thumbsup::thumbsup: so please carry on!

#16     Oct 6, 2019
  7. rtw

rtw

the people at projectoption have put in the work and they do show all their data and results. i have previously posted the links to the videos where they share their methodology and results.

i consider tastytrade to be nothing but entertainment and completely useless for trading. in fact, it sees to me like the members in this fora who used to promote that company keep going silent and/or broke. i could be mistaken but i'm also under the impression that tt at one time promoted the celebrity that was known as "karen the supertrader" and that is more than enough to disqualify any advisory services for any serious aspiring trader.

#17     Oct 7, 2019
  8. jamesbp

jamesbp

There is absolutely nothing original about TastyTrade's material
    ... most of the ideas they claim to 'discover' are already well know

Can you name one concept they have developed that is in fact original ?

#18     Oct 7, 2019
    rtw likes this.
  9. rtw

rtw

if the people at tastytrade were making any money with the useless methodologies they promote they would be running a very large and absolutely secretive fund, they would never be so busy creating all the free publicly available content and promotional materials that they do. the people who own profitable strategies don't ever discuss or promote them openly, it is obvious that tastytrade will never be a part of that group.

what's more, the fact that tastytrade has moved into producing their sorry attempts at entertainment, software development and now brokering (which is a smart move for them, as that's an immensely lucrative industry) transparently proves that their own institutional trading was never going to be profitable in the first place.

#19     Oct 7, 2019
    Wheezooo likes this.
  10. To do an options backtest where you define the rules and have the software do the work (and avoid the mistakes with manual backtesting) try https://www.optionstack.com/.

Brooks

#20     Oct 12, 2019
    Adam777 likes this.