Option trading for a newbie

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Ben74, Oct 17, 2008.

1. =================

Ben7;
    Good news & bad news.

Good news first,OX has better option quotes than IB, mostly. So even if you do , or do not switch , IB says have 2 brokers.

Bad news is comissions & quotes are the least of your concerns;
    see Paul Tudor Jones quote/warning .

:cool:

#31     Dec 15, 2008
  2. NoDoji

NoDoji

POT and AAPL options have tight spreads near the money, and are incredibly liquid. AAPL options for example have a spread of .05 and even tighter sometimes. I've day traded them often when they approach major support/resistance levels. The leverage makes for a quick return without tying up too much capital.

#32     Dec 15, 2008
  3. couscous

couscous

I read the thread's name and I got immediatly interested on asking here about a trading options platform. Can anybody recommend one?

#33     Dec 15, 2008
  4. T-rexx

T-rexx

Well I've got a platform from Tradeview Forex, and it's for trading vanilla options only. Core Options has happened great, and I also find it better for beginners.

#34     Dec 15, 2008
  5. Loki

Loki

I have been selling options for 2 years and it is precisely because of people like you that I am able to make a living.

Keep praying, one day it might :)

#35     Dec 15, 2008
  6. I learnt that gold coins spreads have lowered, does that have any effect on the gold Options field? Will gold Options spreads lower eventually?

#36     Dec 15, 2008
  7. Ben74

Ben74

Thanks for the brokerage update, I know OptionsXpress does have a lot of useful tools. Their charts and scans are tops to me, just the pricey commission that used to be tops too, but is now beaten by others like IB, TOS, TK. And true averaging down is probably bad news, but we will see how that runs today.

#37     Dec 16, 2008
  8. Ben74

Ben74

I have OX, and they have a great platform, with option pricing calculations, very good charts, quotes, and a decent streamer. Comm. rates are $14.95 ($12.95 for active users) min. and beyond 10 contracts its $1.50 per contract ($1.25 for active users).

#38     Dec 16, 2008
  9. Ben74

Ben74

So it must be people like you that I plan on making profits on then. Good luck to you, I think FDS and GS both move higher and pay me off.

#39     Dec 16, 2008
  10. So it's been 2 months. How's the return on that $10k account?

#40     Dec 16, 2008