Option Strategy

Discussion in 'Options' started by jdib, Mar 16, 2017.

1. jdib

jdib

Hello,

I'm curious to know thoughts.

So FOMX Apr 21 10 Calls - there's someone bidding these up now for the past week and he's paying a ridiculous premium for them. I believe he/she has probably bought almost all the open interest for this.

The premium is really high compared to other stocks with higher volatility so I really just can't figure out what they're trying to accomplish? When he drops his bid (occasionally) the market bid goes back to like .50c.

Any thoughts on the possible scenarios?

2. xandman

xandman

He may be hedging a big short position. Did he buy after the call volatilty crashed?

upload_2017-3-16_16-3-27.png

3. jdib

jdib

He started buying them on or about March 9 and has been consistently buying since.

4. xandman

xandman

Probably some crazy doubling down. I can't see why anyone would want to own most of the OI in one contract. A professional would be more dynamic/paranoid.

5. jdib

jdib

Me neither.

Thanks for trying.

6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Strikes are $2.50 apart -- that would explain about 100% of it.

If you needed more "hey--this is expected behavior..." there's always the turn it made from downhill into $9.13 or so, upwards to current price. When did that occur? March 9.

Mr Market has also bought May and June $20s. Would make a helluva calendar. Mebbe.

7. jdib

jdib

Wow, didn't even see those May purchases - nuts.

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Interesting. From LVX.

upload_2017-3-16_18-34-20.png

JackRab likes this.
  9. jdib

jdib

Robert, in all honesty I don't know how to properly read that chart. Can you explain?

10. xandman

xandman

I thought it was all 10 calls? How did you identify other purchases?

#10     Mar 16, 2017