option strategy needed on FDA approval drug stock

Discussion in 'Options' started by 123golfer, Mar 8, 2009.

1. spindr0

spindr0

What's to think? You paid through the nose for over priced high IV calls and made a 10:1 killing when the good news hit. Now you've done it again, hoping that lightning will strike twice. It's the same story. If it does, you're golden. If it doesn't, you take a hit.

I believe if still bullish (or hopeful) that it's a good idea to roll some up to a higher strike if it pops and take some money off the table. If the premiums don't spook you, you can also hedge by buying some puts - I hesitate to say cheap puts since its IV is through the roof. The result of that will be a big bang to the upside, more moderate loss of option premium to the downside and a whacking if it goes nowhere and IV collapses. You just have to weigh the possible outcomes and pick the one that fits.

FWIW, the first time I ever bot calls was 25 or so years ago. Bot some on Commodore which was running up due to its computer release and pyramided them as I rolled up a strike (take sale proceeds and buy more cheaper calls at the next higher strike). Did that a few times and had a large position for me for that point in time. I didn't know squat about money management and as you know, what goes up, also comes down, sometimes pretty fast. I think that of the several thousand of paper profit, maybe I managed a few hundred net gain. The point? Don't be greedy. Aim for profits but don't give up much of them or incur a big loss. "Protect your cities!" :)

#21     Apr 25, 2009
  2. When I first read that, I thought you meant you bought some using your Commodore 64 computer! I thought - wow a trading platform on that thing?!!?!

I had a C64 - it was about my third computer after a TI something and an Atari 1200XL - those were the days with the 64K of memory and ways to break into the BASIC code and figure out what the programmers were doing (of course, I was about 12 at the time)!

My next computer was an Amiga 500 which completely blew away the C64, but just never caught on in the U.S. quite enough.

JJacksET4

#22     Apr 26, 2009
  3. spindr0

spindr0

The C-64 was my first computer. I wrote a routine for it where I inputted the closing prices of the Fidelity sector funds and it calculated various ROC periods for them. The fun part was the hand drawn graphs of that info hanging on my bedroom walls :)

Looks like the boogie man put a hit on DNDN today - currently down 9.74 and halted

#23     Apr 28, 2009
  4. spindr0

spindr0

Lordie, lordie, DNDN now trading at $26.50 in after hours. The Market Manipulators had a field day today :)

#24     Apr 28, 2009
  5. i think this will become a good short if it gaps past 30 this week. The next explosion will be the fda approval which is still months away. With such a huge gap up and no news for a while, it will sell off again.

#25     Apr 28, 2009
  6. Spin,

I too wrote routines on the Commodore 64, LOL. Not finance related though.

I was too poor to afford the 1541 external disk drive, so my storage media was a dataset recorder. Yes, plain audio cassettes to store programs and data. I think I still have it, LOL.

AZD

#26     Apr 29, 2009
  7. I was thinking for a while that a butterfly might be a good idea on DNDN. Yesterday, I was upset that I didn't do it, then glad I didn't do it, then upset I didn't do it . . . wait, I don't think DNDN fits the criteria, LOL

It seems that DNDN might be too much of a gamble for most strategies.

Best wishes to all who are playing this one . . .

AZD

#27     Apr 29, 2009
  8. spindr0

spindr0

LOL. I too used a cassette recorder tho I think that I tossed it 20+ years ago (g).

As for DNDN, I've been scalping the stock intraday but yesterday's action makes me feel a bit squirly about it. Oh well. C'est la vie, c'est la guerre, c'est no more.

#28     Apr 29, 2009
  9. Spin,

Scalping DNDN - You are brave, especially if there is any chance of a repeat of yesterday.

You don't see any options plays on this one?

AZD

#29     Apr 29, 2009