Option Strat Software Thread

Discussion in 'Options' started by Skinnyvol88, Apr 1, 2012.

1. By far the best one I have used is optionnet explorer... It doesnt suggest strategies though. Trademonster's platform is quite nice also but too pricy... IB sucks ass but has the best rates. I figure you cant get everything...

So to resume I use optionnet to create and manage the positions that I execute on IB.
    Another great thing about optionnet is that you can retrade past years in 5 minutes increment if you fancy it. They have a huge database of prices on all equity options and index options

#11     Jun 11, 2012
  2. Doobs789

Doobs789

I have, and occasionally use, hoadley's tools. They are pretty good, but are better for volatility estimation rather than strategies. They pretty much pull historical stock data from yahoo, and applies various macros. However, one could piece something together for free that accomplishes the same task. There's a ton of stuff (excel sheets, code, etc) floating around out there.

In my opinion it's better to build your own tools. That way you know how everything works from the bottom up. Plus it will give you a better fundamental understanding of option positions. The most important part is getting accurate and reliable historical options data.

#12     Jun 13, 2012
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

+1. Plus you really only find good opportunities if you are looking at stuff in a way others aren't. Hard to do that when you are using others' code.

#13     Jun 13, 2012