Option selling for premium

Discussion in 'Options' started by John9999, Mar 3, 2018.

1. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Good for them. Bad for you.

You could have been long stock at 122-your put premium and could have sold that stock at 125.

#141     Mar 26, 2018
    Mugono likes this.
  2. Mugono

Mugono

You beat me to it :)

#142     Mar 26, 2018
  3. yobo

yobo

You must have mis read my post. I was put 200 shares at 122 even though I was short 10 contracts so I never received the other 800 shares.

I sold my 200 shares this morning at 125 to lock in my 600$ gain. So good for me bad for the other person. Even though it could of been much better for me if I had been assigned the full lot of 1000 shares.

#143     Mar 26, 2018
  4. Mugono

Mugono

Had the stock (continued to) tanked:

1. the purchaser of those 2 puts would've thanked their lucky stars :).

2. You would be relieved to only be the bag holder on 200 shares and not 1000.

Consider yourself fortunate :).

#144     Mar 26, 2018
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Your post was unclear.

Yes, you did well on the 2 contracts you were assigned.

#145     Mar 26, 2018
  6. don't know the thread starter, but try some SPY options that expire that day for .05 / .10 and there you go, you held them one day. come in halfway through the day, and you'll find the .05 and .10 people want to unload very very very easy far OTM

#146     Mar 26, 2018
  7. How are you protecting your capital in this downturn? Are you selling naked puts still?

#147     Dec 21, 2018
  8. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

1) I *never* do naked options.
    2) For the past year (since, December 2017), I have pushed hard into rules-based trend exploitation. (Read, "trend-following algo"...) It happens to operate off of EOD data, which I think is important.
    3) My option positions spreadsheet *really* illustrates where things are [or, could be] going -- so we're back to a more-normal option-selling market, where things are vastly improved by broad short-strikes and the selling of those strikes on market excursions.
    4) For 5-6 years, my activity had been constructively 100% in credit spreads, and 90% on SPX. For 2019, I expect (HOPE?!?) 67% in long/short trend-following positions, and 33% credit spreads -- *even* given the "return" [?!?!?] to realistic volatility.
    5) That "market picture" of the options spreadsheet remains an important tool for the when/who-much of individual trades, and I expect that (very much) to continue. (Yay, me. :))

#148     Dec 21, 2018

9. How tight are your spreads? I am looking to hedge only fast moving market declines (ie. ones during which one cannot adjust positions). Is it possible to hedge most of the decline with deep OTM options (units) that have undefined greeks, but which tend to appreciate in value more during "shock" events than models predict?

#149     Dec 23, 2018
  10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

My own spreads' width varied with time and distance from the market, shrinking as δ↑ or Θ↓.
    I'm not sure of your question, but surmise this advice worthwhile to offer: hedging event risk with any manner of farOTM options is generally ill-advised.

#150     Dec 23, 2018