option pricing question

Discussion in 'Options' started by h hubbins, May 2, 2008.

1. dmo

dmo

That is all true and a good explanation. There are many explanations for the skew in the S&P500, but the one you cite is the best and makes the most sense IMHO.

I would add only that "in a vacuum," the probability distribution is lognormal, not normal, so that bell-shaped curve is off-center. In other words, if all strikes traded at the same implied volatility, the out-of-the-money put would be cheaper than the equally out-of-the-money call. If the S&P is at 1400, the 1350 put would be cheaper than the 1450 call if both traded at the same implied volatility.

#11     May 5, 2008
  2. thanks for the info guys! i was pretty puzzled.

#12     May 5, 2008
  3. dmo

dmo

In many contracts, the skew is somewhat changeable, as you say. As the underlying approaches a top, traders get excessively bullish, and they buy OTM calls and shun OTM puts. As a result, the upside skew steepens, and the downside skew weakens. The reverse happens as the underlying approaches a bottom.

However - strangely - that is NOT true of the options on S&P500. That skew is just rock-solid, it never changes. I don't know of another contract like it.

So I agree that the skew is the explanation to the original question asked in this thread. But watch the S&P500 option skew and you'll see that it's always the same.

#13     May 5, 2008
  4. The cost to carry a put vs a call is the true answer the skew, particularlly in the SPX just adds to it

#14     May 5, 2008
  5. dmo

dmo

With one caveat - if we're talking about options on futures, there is no cost of carry of the underlying.

#15     May 5, 2008
  6. The cost to carry is much more visible on a 1400 strike than a 35 strike.

#16     May 5, 2008
  7. SPX is not exactly an option on future.

#17     May 5, 2008
  8. well actually i was asking about the options on the futures. so does that mean this is all related to skew and not cost of carry?

sorry for not being more clear.

#18     May 5, 2008
  9. dmo

dmo

Yes. The cost of carry of the underlying should already be reflected in the price of the futures. Normally the futures trade at a premium to the cash for exactly that reason. So if you were talking about options on futures, then the entire explanation should be the skew.

#19     May 5, 2008
  10. thanks. about midway through my question i was going to ask if it was related to the dividends and interest but it seemed that should already be built into the futures premium.

#20     May 5, 2008