Option/Futures SPAN margin calculations

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by Robert Morse, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

If you are not on a retail trading platform, and you actively trade options on futures, what do you do to estimate/calculate your margin while trading?

Bob

2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Most retail platforms provide the margin for the trade on entry. Not sure if that is what you are asking or if you are asking about managing the margin while in the trade.

3. are you asking about SPAN calculation?

4. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I'm asking what you do to follow your SPAN margin requirements during the day, on a futures platfrom that does not do the calculations, which is most. I found a solution I'm doing a demo for in 10 min, that does this live for Wedbush clients. I think it is very rare to do this for a small fee.

Deuteronomy_24_7 likes this.
  5. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Just finished the demo. Offer real time option and futures span margin for Wedbush accounts for only $100/month. Send me an email if you want more information. For active options/futures traders that clear through us.

Bob

6. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Correct, but we don't offer retail futures platforms and either do most FCMs and introducing brokers. And, unlike futures margin, option margin changes....as we both know.

7. Email CME... I looked into span calculator at one time...

8. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

I tried that, not live and hard to use.

9. I know ib had a way to model portfolio risk with span margin... I'm not with them.. I'm with light speed.. I think there is a way to hook into the actual calculator and feed it into an apl

10. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

Cdcaveman,

Good to hear you use us. When it comes to future, the math is simple. Options on futures are the challenge. Do you use RealTick? Most of our futures clients do.

#10     Sep 26, 2016