Option for OP to ban posters from a thread

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by studentofthemarkets, Oct 31, 2020.

Should the OP be allowed to block posts/posters?

1. NO. Let the trolls continue and let admin take care of the worst problems.

50.0%
  2. YES. Let the OP control their content.

50.0%
  1. Na, not worth it, I responded to him with concrete examples that contradict his points. If anything indigenous people and other ethnic minorities have been treated way better and got preferential priority access to vaccines compared to anyone with a white skin color. At least here in Canada. The claim that racial discrimination is at all a reason why some minority groups suffer more during covid is a bogus one.

#51     Apr 22, 2021
  2. Overnight

Overnight

But you are off-topic in this feedback section of the forum. If this was a thread I posted a video in to make a point, you would rip my head off in comment, because it was plugging up the thread's topic. So AHHA, you are susceptible to it too! Nyeh!

#52     Apr 23, 2021
  3. What are you on man? Sober up bro

#53     Apr 24, 2021
  4. It is up to the people what they want to read and what not. I don’t think there is anything wrong with this.

#54     Apr 24, 2021
  5. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

When I see such type of off-topic or thread hijacking here in the Political threads or the Feedback threads...

It does often make me wonder about one common forum feature that I've seen every trading forum or none trading forum have...
    • The ability to split off a thread into several threads when the topic of the thread has changed.
    Simply, I've never seen such done as such here at Elitetrader.com when threads get hijacked especially when it even occurs in the trading threads. For example, pretend its a thread in the Trade Journal section...someone starts a thread about his / her trading via the MACD / CCI indicator.

Thread is OK for a month and then some jackass shows up and starts talking about indigenous people gets better treatment in the Pandemic because the location they're at has no local medical clinics, very little medical supplies and need to drive or flown several hours away to the nearest hospital if they become sick with Covid.

Baron can either allow that discussion to continue, split off the thread and move that part of the discussion into the political thread or spend his time deleting message posts.

Splitting off threads is one of the easiest things a moderator / forum owner can do and I don't think I've every seen such done here at Elitetrader.com

Therefore, maybe Baron should just create a section called Trash Bin when he dumps all off-topic / hijack thread discussions that contains split off threads. This way members still have their message posts without seeing them deleted but their conversations has been moved to a new location just like when the moderators commonly moves a thread from one location to another location (e.g. someone accidentally post that the Cubs won the World Series in the Announcement section instead of the Sports section...the thread gets moved to the Sports section).

wrbtrader

#55     Apr 24, 2021
  6. A couple of thoughts:

If Baron ever chooses to test the idea of allowing an OP to block trolls from posting in his thread, it might be a good idea to initiate it in the journals section… imo, it is particularly inappropriate for others to hijack/ruin/interfere with someone’s personal journal.

Regarding ways to protect a thread, possible compromises might be to

1. Allow the OP to apply a block in their thread only a certain number of times, e.g., only 1 or 2 or a few times; the idea here is that it would allow him to save the thread from the most severely disruptive trolls without having to go through an appeal process with ET admins

2. Allow the OP to “dislike” any specific post within the thread and have the text of that post become invisible. This seems to work okay in another forum I go to occasionally and it might work here too.

#56     Apr 24, 2021
  7. userque

userque

Keep in mind that banning someone from a thread should also mean that that banned person can't be subsequently ridiculed in that thread, as the banned person can't respond to the ridicule.

This recently happened; and a mod had to remind the people doing the ridiculing to not be ... that way, since the person was unable to respond.

You'd think that you wouldn't have to tell people that--that it would be obvious.

Good luck finding a one size fits all solution, and policing it. Maybe just leave it be.

[​IMG]

#57     Apr 24, 2021
  8. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

It's been discussed many times over the years...never accepted although I don't understand why it can not be "tested" in one key section of the forum such as the "Trade Journals". Heck, at least try it once with an active trade journal by a member that tends to only post only in their trade journal or has no complaints against the member from other members.

Recommendation has always been to "just tell a forum moderator" or "report them".

The good thing...when thread hijackers show up...you can always ask Baron to close your thread. Yet, that solution is usually granted...very strange solution in my opinion.

On the flip side, I've seen over the years a few times where a member that has a trade journal will then get into heated debates in the Political section or other sections of the forum...

They get their ass handed to them and they then run back to their trade journal section to talk about the member...completely hijacking their own trade journal with off topic message posts about other members. Essentially they have now weaponized their own trade journal.
    • In my opinion...those particular trade journals should be immediately closed.
    Simply, this forum is full of childish / psychotic behavior and as someone stated earlier...there's no one solution that fits all. You just need to teach yourself and ignore the well known agitators and trouble makers.

The real assholes will then try to bait you into a heated discussion with them when they know you have them on ignore / block...they typically do such via still "quoting" your messages and then pretending there's a problem with Baron's ignore / block feature as a way to pretend its NOT their fault. :rolleyes:

It is what it is.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    #58     Apr 25, 2021
  9. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

More about the Vote Topic...
    • NO. Let the trolls continue and let admin take care of the worst problems.
    • YES. Let the OP control their content.
    As soon as you post your content...it becomes content that belongs to Baron. If its good content, it helps Baron because it helps attract viewers to the forum. Hopefully, it will attract other quality members to join the forum.

Yet, when there's a problem and you notify a moderator or forum owner...you risk the chance that they see it only as a small problem or not a problem at all. Simply, it lets the agitators, trolls and problem members know that what they're doing is OK...it encourages them to do it to other members.

The only solution or sad solution...requesting your thread to be closed to prevent the content that you've already posted from being further hijack or trashed just because someone doesn't agree with your views about something in life that has nothing to do with trading nor has anything to do with your content that you've posted.
    • The psychotic problem members actually have no interest in your content when they hijack / troll your thread. Their goal is to be a problematic jerk to you.
    Anyone that's been here for many years will know that the quality of good content or useful content has slowly declined while the noise level has increased...its because its very difficult for members to post useful content without some attack from a known forum agitator / troll that gets off doing such.

In fact, I'm sure veteran members can remember the number of threads in the trading section by members about why would someone share their edge (share their content) here at ET or similar like questions.

You rarely see those type of discussions anymore because the question has obviously been answered via the behavior of the agitators / trolls of the forum...

You share and they will hijack and/or troll your thread or they go search for any content you've posted in the past (even years ago) for the purpose to hijack / troll your old content because they're psychotic...

Often allowed to do such even if you complain about it to a moderator / Baron. That only leaves one option...stop sharing via requesting your thread to be closed because as noted...it is your content.

Reality, the members actually hold the power...we can decide to post useful content or not post any useful content. Nobody can force another member to post anything here at ET if they do not want to post it especially when someone is being a jerk to them.

wrbtrader

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    #59     Apr 25, 2021
    studentofthemarkets likes this.
  10. Overnight

Overnight

Maybe mesc. I'm in the spirit world, where other posters can't see me!

One day, Dice, you'll understand my style. Teehee

P.S. Did you see the size of that chicken?

#60     Apr 25, 2021