Option Expiration

Discussion in 'Options' started by farmer0636, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Will options expire on the morning or afternoon of the third Friday in their contract month?

Thanks,

2. cvds16

cvds16

saterday

3. thanks cvds16,

Does it mean that I use the friday's close price and my option strike price to calculate my option's value?

Thanks,

4. cvds16

cvds16

what options are you really talking abuot, i'm talking equity options

5. If i have the put option on individual stock(xyz) with strike price $45, for example, The friday's morninng open price is $44, and close price is $46. Should I use $44 or $46 to see if my option is in the money?

Thanks again

6. cvds16

cvds16

what you really should use (not possible for most private investors-because they have to exercise before the close) is what you are going to guess where the stock is opening on monday. That's the real in the money. Normally you just use the close. Looking at your questions you probably should read some more on this before you start trading these things.

7. cvds16

cvds16

Most of the time its probably better not to exercise and just sell the options in the market somewhere before expiration. There's theta in these things ...

8. ktm

ktm

Short answer is $46 for equity options, and make sure there is no news after the bell.

9. cvds16

cvds16

nice story i heard when i was working on the floor in Amsterdam: lots of mm exercised their "out-of-the money" puts in october 1987, when they realised the markets where going to open much lower on monday. Took some people by surprise.

10. jsor

jsor

When is the latest a mm can decide to exercise?

#10     Apr 28, 2004