option expiration games

Discussion in 'Options' started by riskfreetrading, Dec 18, 2008.

1. spindr0

spindr0

Kevin,

Thanks for the suggestion and the formula. I'll try to test your solution if the market gives me some free time. Since my spreadsheets are linked, it often takes me a bit just to figure out what I think that I thought that I was doing (g).

DMO,

I suspect that you're right... the problem is DDE. But I have no clue. I don't know for sure if the zero during price change (effectively, no quote) is correct but it's the only logical reason that I could come up with that would make the conditional tests flip flop from positive to negative and back to positive again, resulting in the repetitive beeping when the quote changes.

The beep instead of a the visual appearance of a stock symbol in my grid isn't essential but it would be nice to fine tune things and get a tad more efficient. Thanks for the Hoadley suggestion and I'll keep it in the background as an alternative "possible" solution.

My apologies to the OP for inadvertently hijacking the thread.

Spin

#11     Dec 19, 2008
  2. I can speak for the ES and its options. Market makers take at look at the near-strike options with the most open interest and try to center the underlying at those options. Market makers will keep the premiums if the underlying is centered with these near-strikes. For quarterlies, the ES stops trading at the EOD on Thursday. The futures options expire at 9:30 AM Friday when a special opening of the SPX is determined. I watched the ES after 4:00PM Thursday, and of course it surged until 4:15PM. The higher it finished the more put premiums the MM's kept. For serials, the futures options expire on the 3rd Friday, so this same manipulation will occur at the EOD.

#12     Dec 19, 2008
  3. spindr0

spindr0

Kevin,

Your formula gives a VALUE# error in B1 if the value in A1 is > .30

Do you have any other suggestions? thx

#13     Dec 19, 2008
  4. Your beep function is returning a data type incompatible with the rest of formula. Since Excel has no built-in beep function, I can't test unless I have your vba code for your function.

Here is one that I have tested:

put this in D1

=IF(B1=0,D1,IF(IF(AND(B1>C1,D1=""),alarm(B1,">c1"),IF(B1>C1,TRUE,FALSE)),A1,""))

A1 is the stock symbol -- example MSFT
    B1 is the dde link to the price
    C1 is your trigger value -- example 19.11
    D1 is the formula above

here below is the alarm function I am using in the formula, make sure you put the wav file you want for the alert in the same directory as your spreadsheet and edit the vba code to reflect the wav file name:

'Windows API function declaration
    Private Declare Function PlaySound Lib "winmm.dll" _
    Alias "PlaySoundA" (ByVal lpszName As String, _
    ByVal hModule As Long, ByVal dwFlags As Long) As Long

Function Alarm(Cell, Condition)
    Dim WAVFile As String
    Const SND_ASYNC = &H1
    Const SND_FILENAME = &H20000
    On Error GoTo ErrHandler
    If Evaluate(Cell.Value & Condition) Then
    WAVFile = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\red_alert.wav" 'Edit this statement
    Call PlaySound(WAVFile, 0&, SND_ASYNC Or SND_FILENAME)
    Alarm = True
    Exit Function
    End If
    ErrHandler:
    Alarm = False
    End Function

#14     Dec 19, 2008
  5. spindr0

spindr0

Kevin,

I am using an ALARM function and have the wav file in the same directory. It's functional. But as for the rest of your reply, I have no clue what it means since I'm lost in Excel. Fortunately, I have a friend who is more familair with it and perhaps she will be able to help me implement your solution.

I'd really like to solve this problem because each advance that I've made with the my support tools has given me more time to focus on finding more trades...

I really appreciate the time you put in posting the info and when I get closer to the finish line (and have more of a clue), I'll get back to you if I have add'l questions. Thx

Spin

#15     Dec 20, 2008