Optimization, curve-fitting and probability

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by NinjaTrader_Dierk, Aug 27, 2003.

1. LOL! At least Wong gets the joke. He probably knows that exactly this has been said by Confuzius and later re-quoted by Kim Ung-Yong, two major philosophers, both probably a lot smarter than "nononsense".

"nononsense", however, still walks around the lives of the literate completely blind withtout a cane, embarrassing himself by criticizing those who know. How funny can you be LOL?

I'm putting "nononsense" into quotation marks now, because it's such a funny oxymoron, I just have to highlight it.

Best Compliments,
    ~Scientist :)

#31     Aug 31, 2003
  2. NinjaTrader_Dierk

NinjaTrader_Dierk ET Sponsor

@harrytrader

I appreciated your in-depth post much. Let me please ask some questions:

Thanx for your explanation. I understand the basics of statistical calculations. So I know how and how the calculation is performed, but I don't understand the "meaning" (don't have a better term). The calculation return the probability that 20 independent test of the same probability all(!!) show me that there is a Prob(non HO) is true. But what does that mean? What does this imply in the above context? May be, I still have turned my brain off ... :)

@ButterMilk
    Could you please elaborate on the term "realistically" ?

@Nitro
    True words. That's what in fact made me thinking about what I'm doing when I select any parameter set for a given strategy. Any selection of parameter (or even a strategy itself) is an "optimization". Every time I test and validate a strategy, I choose settings parameters which can even hardly be testet "out-of-sample" or "walk-forward". Examples:
    - the pool of instruments I focus on
    - length of in-sample and out-of-sample periods

Ok, I do not want this issue to become too academic. So I ask myself: do strict roll-forward tests (stepwise through the complete time-frame, verifying virtually "all" selected parameters) make sense, or is this simply not possible ?

#32     Sep 2, 2003