Opinions on "TigerDirect"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gyles, Sep 6, 2007.

1. I bought a Dell Dimension PC at Dell Outlet, used it for about a year without any problems and then sold it on Craigslist for a profit.

#11     Sep 6, 2007
  2. Gyles

Gyles

Sincere thanks for your informative posts and the links too. After going through the posts, I have come to this conclusion that it seems to be good, along with others like ibuypower, newegg, cyberpowerpc too, Moreover, brands like HP, Dell are having good reviews.

Moreover, I need to see a computer that shall suit me and my work, specially the Trading work.

Can you please tell what exactly should be the computer specifications for trading purposes? Does, the type of software used, also affects it?

#12     Sep 9, 2007
  3. harkm

harkm

I have ordered from Tiger Direct many times with no problems. The other day a rep called me just to make sure my recent order had no problems. Thumbs up.

#13     Sep 9, 2007
  4. AC3

AC3

Just a couple of things I consider when upgrading a machine. I spend more on the graphics card then just about anything else on the machine with the exception of RAM. These two things IMO are critical to keep the machine running smooth when you have your trading platform up and whatever else you have running at the time. If the RAM is struggling then you run the risk of the machine crashing when you have a lot of data moving through or you decide to open a large spreadsheet etc etc. When you buy a inexpensive computer these two things are usually what the manufacturer will tend to scrimp on. The only other thing I would recommend spending on is the screen ... go bigger and go for a "true brite" or "clear brite" whatever they are calling it today screen which shows the clearest picture (remember your looking at it all day long). Sorry if all this blows your budget but try to keep it tight and you wont be disappointed.

#14     Sep 9, 2007
  5. I had a great experience with tigerdirect not too long ago. I need a laptop for non-trading purposes and ended up getting a Systemax through Tiger. They also had a laptop trade-in program and I was able to dump the laptop I was replacing and actually got a couple hundred bucks for it (the company they use want the chips inside).

#15     Sep 10, 2007
  6. Gyles

Gyles

Since, tigerdirect had good reviews, so have decided to buy one, so had visited their site.

I then visited the Desktop PC category.

However, there are so many PCs that I was just stumped, and then I tried out a link stating Need Help Deciding?, and was faced with numerous choices.

Though, had gone through them, but am not sure as to whether I selected the right configuration, like memory, hard disk, speed of RAM and processor etc.? So, I request someone to please guide me on the configuration required specifically for this market we are all dealing in.

Moreover, it has been mentioned in the Elite Traders forums that laptops are helpful as they help you to know what is happening, when on the move. So, can someone guide me on this too?

Which one is better, a Desktop PC or a Laptop?

#16     Sep 12, 2007
  7. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

I would say you need at least 2 Gig of Ram, 200+ Gig harddrive, if you are storing data on your local drive. Also be careful, some trading software like E-Signal and TradersStudio are still not recommended for Vista. TradersStudio is working fine on Vista Ultimate but that not shipped with any machines standard.

So I guess another question is do you want Vista or XP and then upgrade to Vista when they work out all the issues.

#17     Sep 13, 2007
  8. I think NewEgg is good too ... jake

#18     Sep 13, 2007
  9. Bob111

Bob111

Way better than tiger. Better, more polite support, prices about same or bit lower than tiger, but less rebates bs. I’m mostly use newegg to buy parts. don't know, if there is any good computer deals. they also have few warehouses around a country, and cause of that -shipping way faster. i receive most of my stuff ordered today on next day before lunch, using UPS ground. no problem with returns. They even credit my rebate once, when they put UPS label on UPC bar code. Nice combo deals..-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ubCategory=343&SortField=0&PageSize=10&page=1

#19     Sep 13, 2007
  10. Gyles

Gyles

Thanks for your reply, and I think I shall go for the Windows XP, as at least the trading software shall run on them. However, is it really needed to upgrade to Windows Vista, even if the software can run on it? Will the earlier version not be able to run on them?

Please tell something of the Trading softwares mentioned, E-Signal and TradersStudio. Thanks!

#20     Sep 19, 2007