Opinions on Interactive Brokers?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by stockmarketbeginner, Nov 29, 2017.

1. spindr0

spindr0

The only time I qualified for tiered pricing size was in 2008-2009 when it was like shooting fish in a barrel. So at this point in time, I'm stuck with the .005 per share. However, that rate still entitles me to liquidity rebates and occasionally, I get paid to make the trade (negative commission).

Or am I mistaken and tiered is available regardless of volume per month?

#51     Dec 1, 2017
  2. ET180

ET180

I'm pretty sure that tiered is available regardless of volume per month. I never saw any restrictions on it and I'm not a day trader.

#52     Dec 1, 2017
    MoreLeverage likes this.
  3. sprstpd

sprstpd

You choose which one you want, fixed or tiered:

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=1590

You might be able to just look at the examples to see which category is better for you. It was not obvious to me which was better for my style of trading so I wrote a program to analyze past trades. Tiered won out even though I don't do a lot of volume.

#53     Dec 1, 2017
    MoreLeverage likes this.
  4. spindr0

spindr0

Thanks for the info ET180 and sprstpd. I'll look into it.

#54     Dec 1, 2017
  5. %%
    Sounds like you had an advantage as a female trader; the few times i tried to call, i finally hung up + later in day they had it fixed. I noticed volume on IB charts was way off, but overall excellant. I would have to agree with the magazine IB ad , in the multitude of yellow cabs, IB founder said ''never chose an an ordinary investment vehicle'' he was riding a horse.NOT sarcasm + no spell check used :D:cool:

#55     Dec 1, 2017
    Xela likes this.
  6. d08

d08

My issue is that they used to be part of commissions. They were separated but the advertisements continued with the "$0.005 per 100" selling point. Unless the transaction fees only started a few years ago, it's a very sneaky move.

#56     Dec 1, 2017
  7. d08

d08

Tiered is available for everyone but if you do less than 300k volume and a lot of market orders, you'll end up paying more compared to fixed.

#57     Dec 1, 2017
    MoreLeverage likes this.
  8. ET180

ET180

Makes sense, I never do market orders on stock. I'll always put my order in somewhere in the bid ask spread.

#58     Dec 2, 2017
  9. maxinger

maxinger

I think the only thing good is its wide range of financial instruments, and low commission.

I hate its color selection and its antique, unattractive display.
    The english they use is rather strange, un-straight forward, odd.
    Wonder who are those IB staff. Perhaps they have great command of english and we don't have

#59     Dec 2, 2017
  10. d08

d08

Their English is perfectly fine for me. You're forgetting that their job is also to protect the company of lawsuits and Americans are generally lawsuit-happy. I wouldn't be happy if they talked like some random guy off the street.

#60     Dec 2, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.