Opinion: Roberts Court Wrecked U.S. Democracy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by piezoe, Jan 24, 2020.

1. piezoe

piezoe

2. elderado

elderado

WeToddDid2 likes this.
  3. LacesOut

LacesOut

The only thing Roberts is screwing up is not ordering this farce to end.
    Schiff the Pedo and Fatboy's non-stop lies are making a mockery of the Republic..

End this bullshit...

WeToddDid2, Buy1Sell2 and smallfil like this.
  4. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Agreed but with one caveat. Roberts has wrecked the US in the following regard----He allowed Obamacare to stand when it was clearly unconstitutional. This is what he will be remembered for. Even Anthony Kennedy, the supposed swing vote understood this and tried to convince him that what he was doing was wrong, but to no avail. As far as Piehole's article?---Bogus.

5. smallfil

smallfil

Justice John Roberts should have reviewed the charges and evidence and if there is not enough to prove guilt, should have said, charges are flimsy at best and a waste of US tax dollars. This farce ends now and proceedings are finished. Of course, he is another liberal going by his votes on various matters including, Obamacare so, Democrats get a pass.

WeToddDid2 and Buy1Sell2 like this.
  6. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

I agree, but I think his role is mostly just ceremonial so as to say the Judicial Branch is involved. The Senate has the ultimate and sole power. ---They could have done that and should have.

7. piezoe

piezoe

8. piezoe

piezoe

I made a mistake. I said, "most prophetic". It is not. Other editorials have been equally so. I should have said "most important," because if the American experiment in democracy in the form of a republic begins to die with Donald Trump in 2017, this editorial may have explained why. It is though one could look into Rome in 300 AD and read the reason the Roman Empire would fall in one-hundred and fifty-five years hence.

9. Buy1Sell2

Buy1Sell2

Wrong------It began to die with the progressives Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson. ----Coolidge, Reagan and Trump all have tried to save it. --Trump continues in this regard.

WeToddDid2 likes this.
  10. piezoe

piezoe

It is not at all clear to me on what basis you would characterize Teddy as dangerous to your Republican Republic. Certainly I can't understand lumping him in with Wilson, who was a danger to our democracy. Despite Teddy's show of regulating Trusts, he was thoroughly Republican in his support of protective tariffs and low taxes. He was a self-assured bore, opportunist and empire builder happy to follow in McKinley's footsteps. The populist of the time was still Bryan. Does "Progressive" fit Teddy in anything resembling today's meaning of the word?; I don't think so. (I'll agree that some historians, particularly those in the past, have classified Teddy as a "Progressive". I think it is a mis-characterization based on current use of the word.)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    #10     Jan 26, 2020