Opentick vs DTN - whats the catch?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by fatal2000, Mar 18, 2008.

1. fatal2000

fatal2000

for a while now, I've been looking for an intraday realtime data provider for my self made trading app,

after reading through the forum i found opentick.
    my question is - why do people pay money for data feed from DTN/esignal/other sources when Opentick is free.
    am i missing something, where is the catch?

2. gttrader

gttrader

Speed, reliability and customer support.

3. fatal2000

fatal2000

ok - i've read all the threads i could find regarding Opentick,

there is one issue that was not answered here:

people report that there is missing data at times (empty bars),
    but the important question is - Did anyone here who uses opentick ever find discrepancies in the data?

missing data - i can live with,
    but misleading errorous data is a big problem.

4. You can play around with Opentick when you're testing your Models and running Simulations, but you had better be ready to pony up the cash when it's time to take care of business.

Good Luck

5. Yes, some of the older stock data is not to be trusted, and there are (were ?) some periods missing. Last eighteen months looks much better but I haven't compared with other sources, so it's hard to make a definitve judgement.

The real time streaming data is not bad at all - sometimes a little behind IB TWS, but not by much.

If you are using Java, get the third party API lib from the Java section of the support forum - it is better and more reliable than the OpenTick supplied library.

6. OT is building a customer base for future fee-based data service. Meanwhile, they are going through the standard growing pains of building their infrastructure. It’s as simple as that.

st

7. Yet another empty response void of substance from the resident ass clown. No surprise there.

st