OpenTick Out of Business ?

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by rivercode, Sep 10, 2008.

1. OpenTick is completely down as of Sept 10th 8pm EST...their DNS has gone, so cannot access the website or feed servers.

Cannot ping their web or feed servers directly with the actual IP address.

Anyone know if they have closed permanently or what the situation is ?

Thanks.

2. Baywolf

Baywolf

These guys could never get their act together. You haven't been able to sign up for a new account for months. Normally I might assume they are having DNS issues, but because of the whole new user sign-up deal, and their inability to keep up with demand, I wouldn't doubt it if they decided to close up shop. How else are they paying to keep those servers running?

3. tron_at

tron_at

Website works perfectly (today about 06:30 GMT) from Austria, Europe.

Pinging www.opentick.com:
    PING opentick.com (64.210.196.151) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 64.210.196.151: icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=110 ms

and feed servers do reply on ping requests too:
    PING b7.opentick.com (64.210.196.145) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from 64.210.196.145: icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=111 ms

cheers,
    tron_at

4. Chriz

Chriz

No problems here accessing opentick.com

5. Yup, I'm getting a good data stream from all their servers.

6. same here

7. panzerman

panzerman

Point your computer to the OpenDNS servers, instead of your ISPs.

8. What's the point ?
    NO NEW ACCOUNTS IN OVER 3 MONTHS = they are a disaster

9. tomu

tomu

What is Opentick's business model? They spend thousands a month for servers, bandwith and market data. But they give their service away for free and don't make any money. Why would you run a business that has large monthly cost but no revenue to cover those costs? What am I missing here?

10. I've assumed that it's a big beta test and when they get it right they will start charging [a lot most likely]. They moved their servers from Texas to be much closer to the exchange servers a month or two ago. That was to reduce latency. It's not like they are just messing around as a learning project with no business model. It says to me that they are well funded and they don't charge people to be beta testers. To me that indicates some integrity and intelligence on their part.

#10     Sep 11, 2008