OpenQuant + AmiBroker: my recipe for building robust Automated Trading Systems

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by dareminator, Apr 29, 2008.

1. I want to echo what dareminator has said - I'm a relatively new user of Amibroker and a long time user of Tradersstudio. I find, for creating systems, that Amibroker is just much, much faster for development, but it lacks the reporting and multisystem support that comes with TS. But Amibroker is an incredible product for it's speed of backtesting, and the quickness with which I can create new systems. I can just think of a system and then quickly, in a matter of minutes, create it in Amibroker.

#11     Apr 29, 2008
  2. Thanks dareminator!
    I hope to pay it forward soon.

Again, I'm surprised that Ami is not discussed much more on ET. But that may be because Ami users are busy making money! :)

Your wife's learning mech trading?! Well, that should help discover some uncorrelated strats, too! :p

K, off I go to the library.

#12     Apr 29, 2008
  3. maxpi

maxpi

Openquant is so good that users can finally prove to themselves that auto traded systems really are krappy. With the other software you could still hold out hope because you were never sure what the hell you had after you spent a month coding something up. With OQ you can know what you have and then you are free to finally disprove every theory about autotrading in the universe..... yessssssss!!!!!!!

#13     Apr 29, 2008
  4. My partner and I use Ami for R and D and testing and execute with Ninja/zenfire , the ATS side and the combo is very solid. Best over all solution that we could find with our spending 100K to get the same custom solution.

The outside programmer that has to code our stuff into C # after Ami tests the system and is ready to deploy is also very happy there is no one full solution for a testing and execution software package,

#14     Apr 30, 2008
  5. giladbi

giladbi

as far as i know Amibroker can't handel tick data base or to use bid/ask data as a reasone to get into position
    or am i wrong?

#15     Apr 30, 2008
  6. It does it very well with ability to do custom data points and anything you can do in a custom database.

We use tick data from tickdata.com as a monthly upload.

#16     Apr 30, 2008
  7. giladbi

giladbi

i need both trade and quote
    tickdata told me they offer just trades

how Amibroker is dealing with the amount of quote data? can i make my own market delta (as in www.marketdelta.com) and to check if the trade was on the ask price etc.?

#17     Apr 30, 2008
  8. I would say that great care must be taken with any dotnet solution regarding performance in a realtime, autotrading environment. With C/C++ you can be sloppy and it won't hurt much.
    The good news is that the processors are getting faster.
    The bad news is no one is really taking advantage of multiple cores....yet.

#18     Apr 30, 2008
  9. Excellent post Dareminator.

I was reading your similar post on the OpenQuant forum yesterday. It got me looking at AmiBroker for the first time (having played around with NinjaTrader, OpenQuant and RightEdge). Thanks for that.

One issue I've been having... is data. I think I've come to the conclusion that you're better off separating data for the puposes of historical back testing vs live trading.

What I mean is, of course it would be nice to have one provider of both historical & live data... but in reality it seems to me a far better solution to use someone like www.tickdata.com for historicals (backtesting) and another provider for live trading (be that eSignal, Zen Fire, IB etc..etc..).

Although it's imperfect in that it requires a little data management, I do think in the end you get a better solution.

Can I ask who your data providers are and how you use them...? It would be of value to hear from someone who is live trading with real money on this most critical issue... Data!!!

Thanks

#19     Apr 30, 2008
  10. Siddhartha, I came to the same conclusion :
    - I use IQFeed ( http://www.iqfeed.net/Amibroker ) Basic Service for my 1-minute historical data. I only use data for futures & equities, but I've been told that the options data is good too. Very wide selection of symbols, reliable system, and good data for a reasonable fee ($55/month -- plus real-time fees if you need it). AmiBroker has a native plug-in for IQFeed and there is a discount for AmiBroker users.

- I use IB's real-time data for trading within OpenQuant. I only keep enough historical data in OpenQuant for development & debugging -- I don't to backtests there.

- I used to compare the IB/OpenQuant 1-min bars I receive and the IqFeed historical 1-min bars I download at the end of the day. They are very close but not exactly the same. To 'Big Game Hunter's post in this thread, a few seconds here and there change the shape of the bars. After observing and obsessing about this for some time, I realized that the results don't change much for my current strategies. So I've let it go and don't look at this discrepancy any more.

#20     May 1, 2008