Opening range breakout in new electronic markets

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Murray Ruggiero, Nov 20, 2010.

1. how does a usual OBR strategy work?

#11     Jan 11, 2011
  2. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

You use the open as the reference point and then take a breakout based on some volatility measure from there.

If your using intra-day data, you might buy on a breakout of the first hours range + fudge factor.

#12     Jan 21, 2011
  3. Scipio

Scipio

I have been researching intraday volatility breakouts in individual stock and like any other entry technique, it works sometimes and not in others. Has your research identified any other variables or specific market environments that consistenty impact the success of volatility breakout style entries? Some of the ideas I am looking into include daily range, volatility, trend, liquidity, pattern effects, etc.

Thanks for any insight.

Scipio

#13     Jan 26, 2011
  4. Is your article out?

#14     Jan 27, 2011
  5. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

A few more days I think, not sure when they ship the issue.

#15     Jan 27, 2011
  6. Mr. Murray, it has been over two months, since you mentioned about the article. When can we expect to know more of the same?

#16     Apr 9, 2011
  7. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

I am currently working on a article on backtesting systems and producing realistic results. I have to once again deal with both contract rollover and switching between the pit and electronic market. This article will be out in the June issue.

#17     Apr 9, 2011
  8. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

I have just begun to get a chance to start doing research again on various topics. You might of noticed I am also posting more often now. I will post some comments here about these topics soon.

#18     Apr 12, 2011
  9. That is true, Murray :) Have seen your posts in other places also, do keep updating, and hope to hear more in this thread soon.

#19     Apr 27, 2011
  10. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

I am out of town. I will be doing some research and posting more stuff when I get back next week

#20     May 3, 2011