Opening Range Breakout, for Futures and Equities

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Murray Ruggiero, Sep 1, 2005.

1. M.R.

Thank you for your efforts. Your laying out the Orb in a well written concise manner that is ET archive-quality.

However, Much of this has been discussed and I think you are assuming that the traders here have not discussed the Orb in great detail.

Carry on, as I believe your writing expertise might still enlighten many...and maybe for those that are experienced in Orb, they might find a precious gem hidden in this review of it.

Thank you again, :)

Michael B.

#21     Sep 2, 2005
  2. The only way trading can be compared to flipping a coin is when the flipper has no clue of the direction of the Market. What you show traders has to be accompanied be a heavy dose of psychology because the losing percentage is so large. I prefer a greater win percentage. It's less stressful.

#22     Sep 2, 2005
  3. This ought to be interesting.

#23     Sep 2, 2005
  4. Whimsy

Whimsy Guest

Well I looked at the two sample videos on your site and they are not bad. However, I think that a shipping cost of $10.45 for a $19.95 product is a bit out of line. I can't believe that you could not ship a CD/DVD in one of those US Post Office $3.85 Flat Rate Priority Mail Envelopes.
    http://postcalc.usps.gov/mailpiecedimensions.asp#Package

If you want to use the DVD as a basis for this discussion what about a reasonable shipping cost like $4.00?

#24     Sep 2, 2005
  5. Not to be rude or skeptical, but I cant believe anything worth selling for $19.95 is that valuable...

And if it was, why would be selling it so cheap, if at all?

#25     Sep 2, 2005
  6. Would you give some examples when they develop ? Per example : QQQQ is a good candidate for ORB trade today,use xyz multiplier. That would have a real value for everyone.

#26     Sep 2, 2005
  7. Aaron

Aaron

How do you deal with daily bars that trade both above _and_ below your buy entry level and your sell entry level? How do you know which one hit first?

You mentioned the ORB hasn't worked very well recently. Do you have annual or monthly historical returns? It would be interesting to see if ORB has gone through lousy periods in the past and then come back to perform well, or if this is a new and unprecedented lousy period.

Aaron Schindler
    Schindler Trading

#27     Sep 2, 2005
  8. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

Let me tell you why TradersStudio is selling this video for $19.95, with a list price of $34.95. TradersStudio decided to discount the video because it is a loss leader for them, kind of like a grocery store selling Milk at a loss just to get people into the store. TradersStudio paid for the production, the trip to Atlanta as well as paying me for the copyright on the content, so they could do what they want with it. In this video I used TradersStudio to do the analysis. They wanted to be able to give away the first 20 minutes of the video, to get registrations on the site. This factor effected there pricing decisions. In terms of the postage ,I discussed it with TradersStudio it has been adjusted.

The analysis being taught can be tested with other platforms, but TradersStudio is powerful because I was able to create the kind of tables in Crabel’s book on a large portfolio of markets using TradersStudio’s custom reports with just a few mouse clicks. TradersStudio bought the rights to this video from me and decided to sell it like this.

If you register on the site and watch the second free part, which requires registration you will find some real gems. This is where I discuss the entry methods of all three traders, including content, which is in the Legendary Crabel book. In addition I discuss the concepts I have discovered relating to big range days. If you register and watch part 2, you will see that even what I am giving away is worth 10 times what the video costs, and the parts of the video only available to people who purchase it have even more valuable content.

Some of you might not want to register because you are afraid of a lot of junk e-mails. Well TradersStudio does not sell it’s list and will never send out spam mail they will only E-Mail to keep you updated about what is happening at TradersStudio.com or to give you free educational content, for example they currently have a free introductory course on system development which registered members can receive. You can register at

http://www.tradersstudio.com/Default.aspx?tabid=56

#28     Sep 3, 2005
  9. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

We tested ORB on daily data in this video by first only testing the long and short side separately. In additon we did what Crabel calls bias test, for example we only go long if Close<Open and short if Close>Open on the previous day.

#29     Sep 3, 2005
  10. im a big student of ORB but in my opinion, a study using only daily data is just invalid.

#30     Sep 3, 2005