Opening Orders - 2009

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Don Bright, Dec 31, 2008.

1. For the last few openings, I have been doing manual exists only and doing better. I limit my order to 10 and try to set my envelopes to get no more than 3 fills. The problem I have with automatic exits is the following – your winners get filled at a limited profit but your losses are unlimited. So, I got nailed a few times by having a few small winners and then one big loss that took back all the winnings and more. It seems over the long run, if you limit your upside, but have an unlimited downside, you are going to end up with a negative expectation. You also need some big wins to offset the big losses, so when I exit manually I can let the winners ride. I am interested in hearing how other traders manage this. Those who totally automate, are you using also automated stops – and how do you avoid the danger of a naked short sale?

#31     Jan 6, 2009
  2. 1st post on this thread. 3rd day of opens orders. 4 longs and 2 shorts today, on light volume. 14 cents per share, with a 57 cent on TGT.

to Jones247 - I really struggled last year (really struggled), and have decided on changing to this strategy and others I may pick up at next weeks training. 3 days of opens is not a trend, but they have all been winners, a good change of scenery. Am looking forward of going to auto exit, it is hard to keep from making mistakes manually when you get all your fills at once.

#32     Jan 6, 2009
  3. VinMan

VinMan

No Fills today. Used a 1.5% envelope on longs and 2% on shorts.

Question: Should I be making sure long entries are below prev day close and short entries above?

Today I had to go to 2% envelope on my shorts to get the entry prices above yesterday's close. Am I thinking correctly?

#33     Jan 7, 2009
  4. yes

#34     Jan 7, 2009
  5. lescor

lescor

I don't. To each his own, there are many ways to play it.

#35     Jan 7, 2009
  6. i have an equal buy and sell envelope but i never sell below last nights close or buy above last nights close...

this keeps you out of a lot of trouble

#36     Jan 7, 2009
  7. I dont take that into account. It's your call.
    Didn't play today, back tomorow.

#37     Jan 7, 2009
  8. Got crushed;
    Our news finder brought up nothing on CHK and LNC; both of which had some news that threw our positions way against us at the bell and lead to some nice losses; avg -.6 loss

#38     Jan 7, 2009
  9. What was the news on LNC?
    Did you go against pre market bid/ask?

#39     Jan 7, 2009
  10. -.06!; not that bad...

#40     Jan 7, 2009