Open-Source Social Media Platform?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by kmiklas, Jul 22, 2021.

1. kmiklas

kmiklas

Heya Peeps,

Any good social media platform software available? Maybe on Github? I've been hunting around but nothing jumps out. Something that I can install on a server and create a platform for community creation.

I'd like to set up my own social media site, and/or empower people to set them up. These fact-checkers are getting on my nerves.

Basically a modern open-source bulletin board that I can set up; sort of like phpBB, but next-gen, with a Facebook-like feel.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. easymon1

easymon1

Good question.

I looked into phpBB to use as a Personal Information Manager on a local box.
    The basic functionality I want is to conveniently archive images, text, links.
    Are you very familiar with phpbb?

It struck me as much less user friendly than the application we are on here at et.

The first feature I looked into was how to post images.
    They all displayed at a 'maxed out' dimension that went wall to wall.
    Did not find info on a way to post images so they appear at actual size.
    eg if an image is 4" x5", then I want it to appear at about that size in the post.
    in a way so as not to Maximize the Size of any images that are actually not that big?

3. easymon1

easymon1

What have you come up with?

Here's a nice deployment of open source free phpbb.
    https://www.brookspriceaction.com/index.php?sid=4c6d8d3adc482636e2e72f9c6ebe79d6

What would you like to see additional to something like that?
    It doesn't seem to be as easy and user friendly as ET's platform.
    ET's platform would be good for what I want, a PIM personal information manager.
    Using it and running it are likely not so similar, lol.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2022
  4. kmiklas

kmiklas

I'm looking for more of a user-centric experience; like a FB or TWTR.

A lot of the free stuff is more of a topic-centric; bulletin-board style.

It''s for this site (not a plug). I got so frustrated with all the censorship that I started my own social media site centered around freedom of speech:
    https://forum.frexpy.org/

easymon1 likes this.