Open Source Charting Software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by lundy, Jun 4, 2002.

1. lundy

lundy

I'm inquiring about Open Source Charting Software because:

Recently, I've tried many of the software programs on the market like qcharts, esignal, ensign, iqchart, nextrend, sierrachart, aspen graphics, dtniq, tradestation, metastock, and more.

I've found that the charts or technical tools/indicators from all of these sources are either inconsistent or inadequate.

All of them have lotsa features, but these features seem to be just thrown together, there is no emphasis on perfection or usefulness.

My most basic test on the charting software I used was to setup a chart with NQ, display only day session data, and draw a trendline from one high to another high and extend it into the future and then be able to move any point on the trendline to another high.

IMO, this is the most basic thing to ask of any software. However, half the software I tried failed to do this. I'm not saying it was just hard to get it to do it, I'm saying it couldn't do it.

Out of the ones that failed to do this, most couldn't do the snap, resulting in useless trendlines that are only as perfect as my mouse hand. Others like nextrend, couldn't display day session only on NQ. And still others couldn't move a trendline once it was drawn. Some couldn't extend. etc etc.

Of the ones that passed the test, I checked to see if the chart was drawn correctly, and the trendlines were drawn perfectly.

I basically eliminated all the choices, because of the ones that could do this basic function, none were perfect.

From a technical point of view, and as a programmer myself , I know that it's not too much to ask for a trendline to draw perfectly and a chart to be drawn correctly per the data it receives.

So if there is anyone else out there, whose interested in collaborating to create an open source charting program that focuses on perfection rather than mass features, please feel free to communicate with me.

2. lundy, QuoteTracker is not open source, but it is free and has the trend lines and lets you move them. It does not snap the trend line to the data, though if you email support@quotetracker.com and give an example of the situation when it should and when it should not snap to the data, we will consider adding that.

Jerry Medved
    2GK, Inc.
    http://www.quotetracker.com