open short positions

Discussion in 'Trading' started by eldorado1, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Is in possible to know how many open short positions a stock has?

2. shortsqueeze.com

3. Thanks, anyone using their premium services?

4. nasdaq.com has 12 month history of short interest

highshortinterest.com shows high short interest by market (NAS/NYSE/AMEX)

And they're both free ~

5. yahoo finance is pretty good too for the basics.
    DON'T visit the boards though! LOL

6. I've registered on this website and the owner is a real schmuck. Even though you pay him for the service, he won't answer your emails, the site is always crashing, and he will not allow you to download the data unless you pay him $70/mo. Worst site ever.

7. FSU

FSU

Funny, I had the opposite experience. I subscribed for about 3 months (though no longer a subscriber) Thought there was a lot of good information on the site. When I had a billing issue, they responded quickly and fixed the issue. The fact that he won't allow you to download his data without an extra charge doesn't necessarily seem unreasonable.

8. I agree with this assesment 100%. Just another site reselling someone elses data. In this case they are reselling FactSet data (same format, same symbology, same errors) only two days late! The same data table (including NYSE, AMEX, NASDAQ but not BATS) is available for free from the WSJ or Barrons site (use historical page/2_3062 api call) with only 1 day delay, or scraped from Lipper (slightly different symbology and error set) with an approximate 2 hour delay.

BATS short interest (not included in ShortSqeeze.com tables) is available from the CBOE FTP site for free with no delay. So is IEX short interest available via their free API, but only covers one stock (IBKR, also not included in SSqueeze tables). Nasdaq short interest is easily scrapable via ajax call and is available on an approximate 2 hour delay.

Short volume (not covered by short squeeze), both current and historical, is available for free on the FINRA site.

I was a subscriber to ShortSqueeze for over two years. One billing issue after another. Always resolved, but eventually the recurring billing problems, lack of BATS, and two-day delay became too much and I wrote the requisite scrapers.

vanzandt likes this.