Open outcry pit trading

Discussion in 'Trading' started by bashatrader, Dec 15, 2010.

1. How many pits are left operating? I know crude is one.

Any link to which commodities their and open outcry session hours?

I am thinking of not trading any longer in markets where HFT robots operate like stocks, ES and such. I am moving to commodities traded in pits.

Any thoughts?

2. I don't think crude oil is a good place to hide from the robots. See this, for example: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67O2QQ20100825

3. Shagi

Shagi

I can't think of any commodity thats not traded electronically - yeh sure some have both pit & electronic sessions but my dope says there is huge volume in electronic. Pit trading is becoming a relic like T-Rex & Gang

4. Shagi

Shagi

5. its old news- doesnt exist anymore- the comps took over- u need a " niche" like any business model- as time progrsses margins get tighter- everyone wants a bit of the action

6. TD80

TD80

LME was one of the later hold-outs. Now LME Select has blown that out of the water. Frankly you're probably better off fighting the robots than the LME locals...

I think what sums it up nicely is that, you know when the Cambodian Mercantile Exchange has an electronic trading platform, you're pretty much f***** if you think you're going to find a pit-only traded contract worth trading...