Open-E-Cry Issues

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Bond-Speculator, Nov 9, 2006.

1. ...Now that is what we call NAIVETY...

You are entitled to your own opinion but you are not entitled to your own facts....

- Daniel Patrick Moynihan
    Former Senator, New York

#41     Nov 11, 2006
  2. Why do you think others in this thread that uses OEC aren't having problems like you???

It's a tough call because nobody in this thread has mentioned where they are located at, what's the name of their ISP, their computer configurations et cetera.

By the way, I had similar like problems as you did with a particular broker while all my other programs worked just fine.

Therefore, I concluded it must be my broker until I started talking to other traders using the same broker (they weren't having problems).

Anyways, I hooked up my system at a neighbor's house that was using a different ISP.

He didn't mind...he was home sick for a few days taking it easy.

Guess what, my broker platform worked just fine (no disconnections, not data stalls, no data burst, no lost packets and low latency).

The difference was that I used my backup computer at the neighbors and the backup computer has a different configuration in comparison to my primary system.

Now, if other traders using the same broker aren't having the same problems while my system is working normal at a neighbors house while testing on a different computer...

I eliminated my broker as the source of my problems.

Next, I hooked my system back up to my ISP back at home and the problems returned while my other programs showed no problems what so ever.

Anyways, I discussed my problem with an IT pal and he recommended I back everything up (I do such once every two weeks)...

Install my broker platform on a clean computer (a backup computer and I reformatted the hard-drive) and only loaded XP professional software and its updates...nothing else.

Next, I only installed my broker trade execution platoform...my broker platform worked normal.

This eliminated my ISP and leaves one thing left...

My computer configuration on my primary system.

I then installed another one of my trading programs...used it as such for one week and still no problems with my broker platform.

I did this with other programs, one week at a time until I discover the offending program.

When that particular data vendor charting program was installed, my broker platform had lots of problems while my other programs did not.

Simply, it wasn't my broker nor my ISP.

It was my own computer system.

My point, I strongly suspect if you switch brokers again...your still going to have problems until you have done proper troubleshooting (testing on a different computer and testing a different ISP).

Besides, you can use this as an opportunity to get to know your neighbor a little better.

:D :p :D

With that said, you should be already suspicious about either your ISP or your own trader workstation configurations when other traders using OEC aren't having problems.

Mark

#42     Nov 11, 2006
  3. galiano

galiano

Name one feed/platform, just one, that hasnt/doesnt have at least a handful of disconnect issues in any given year.

You dont communicate with the firm regarding the problem. You refuse suggestion that the problem lives on your end. And you aren't getting "confirmation" from other users. What the hell is your point? Oh yea, good samaritan. ha

Equal or better advise would be forum readers be wary of what you read.

#43     Nov 11, 2006
  4. You are funny guy. I will not even start a pissing contest on who really has more computer and troubleshooting experience. You sound like someone who will not listen to reason or suggestions and just absolutely has to be right. i'm done with this thread and with your bs.

#44     Nov 11, 2006
  5. Here's my setup.

4 PCs with broadband cable connection plus (30mbps rather than the standard 15mbps)

PC#1: For trade executions in my Open E-Cry account. I have this entire PC dedicated to this one program alone (well, excel, word, also installed but used rarely). Open E-Cry is my newest trading account (opened about 9 months ago) so I dedicated an entire PC to this program alone since it is the platform I have tended toward using lately to place most of my futures trades.

PC#2: For trade executions in my other 7 futures trading accounts and my merrill lynch equity trading account. These trading programs are used only when I wish to hedge risk in my other accounts by executing a second leg or third leg in the spread. 6 of the 7 accounts use TT so there are really just three trading programs installed on this machine.

PC#3: CQG charting and that's it!

PC#4: for messing around, internet, games, etc...

I have eliminated all WINDOWS EXTRA FEATURES on all of these machines to improve performance. I have enabled windows firewall on all of these machines and also have a hardware firewall on the computer connected directly to the internet (PC#1). I have also optimized the computer by making changes in the registry to increase performance even further. Most of the registry changes involved removing useless windows services.

For all intents and purposes, my particular setup pretty much rules out any issue with anything other than either the OEC platform or the Open E-Cry server. Like I've said, I know what I'm talking about over here. Just because I'm the only one reporting doesn't mean i'm the only one experiencing...

If there was any inkling whatsoever that perhaps it was my ISP, do you really think I would post on this message board? What would be the purpose of that?

#45     Nov 11, 2006
  6. TT has been pretty reliable (the last time i had a disconnect issue was this month when the ECBOT had technical difficulties but before that the last time I had an issue with TT was way back in March or April of 2005). Difference is that when I called TT customer service, they were able to pinpoint the problem immediately and the platform was back up and working within a half an hour. Of course, TT is relatively expensive.

Please don't tell me I don't communicate with Open E-Cry customer service in regards to my disconnection problems. Every time I've called them in the past 8 months they've told me it is my ISP. Not only that, they tend to keep me on the phone for a very long time and then when I finally get through to them they tell me that they are going to have a tech support guy call me back in a half an hour. Of course, the tech support guy, when he calls me back, tells me it is my ISP. lol. Maybe you have an understanding now of why I hesitated to call them about this. I figured I might as well hedge the position using one of my other accounts; much less stressful and more pleasant since I don't have to deal with people (ha ha)! That's what I did and in doing so I was able to minimize the damage (to both my account balance and my state of mind)....

Anyways, please let's stick to the issue at hand here. If anyone else has Open E-Cry disconnection problems, I'd love to hear what happened. Thanks!

#46     Nov 11, 2006
  7. I never question why your posting.

I'm hinting or suggesting that you should test your primary system or your broker platform on a different computer at another location since you've already admitted you've had problems before with another broker in the past.

Were you using the same computer configuration for that other broker in the past.???

Until you do that type of troubleshooting...

You cannot rule out your ISP nor your own computer network configuration.

Surely you know someone using a different ISP that you can pick up your backup computer and go trade from his/her house for a few days while you monitor your system performance.???

To not eliminate ALL possibilities will be odd on your part.

Good luck and only you have the power to fix your current situation especially since computers don't weigh that much and can easily be transported to a different location.

Mark

#47     Nov 11, 2006
  8. Problem is that the disconnection issues at Open E-Cry occur about once every three weeks. So I would have to trade from this other location for over a month perhaps. What I could do is re-activate my DSL connection with a different ISP just for a few months. I think I'll do that actually. Thanks for hte tips...

#48     Nov 11, 2006
  9. I would stop using OEC. Somehow, you are having a problem with them. Who knows..it could be some distant connection within the internet backbone. Others are not having this problem. But you need to drop them and stick with one of your other reliable brokers.

#49     Nov 11, 2006
  10. I'm leaning toward leaving Open E-Cry because of the disconnection Issues I've had. Still weighing the cost-benefit though. Truth is, I pay a hell of a lot for TT.

#50     Nov 12, 2006